25Gal/100L with ss drum + electric or gas + BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dude1

Reaction score
I'm considering setting up a 25Gal (100L) brewing equipment as follows:

- 55Gal (220L) brand new stainless drum (with proper insulation)
- 3 coils of 4.5kW each (= 13.5KW) like on the picture (or a 13.5KW propane burner)
- BIAB with a XL bag made for 60cm kettles (the coils would be below a false bottom to prevent them from touching the bag)

Anything sounding crazy in all that?

Either the choice of the drum, electricity (also in terms of ampers) or BIAB?

I'm in Switzerland, so we have 220V 16A in here.

Thanks

coil.jpg

Not sure a bag sized to fit a 60 cm kettle will be long enough for a 55 gal drum.

I've made quite a few for a 55 gallon drum, and a proper sized bag that lines the drum well is surprisingly large.

I'm considering setting up a 25Gal (100L) brewing equipment as follows:

I'm in Switzerland, so we have 220V 16A in here.

Thanks

One thing that I though of, and maybe somebody with more experience can correct me, but I am questioning if 16 amps will be enough for 1 of the 4.5kW heating elements, let alone 3 of them...might have to do something else to get the power that you need if you do want to go electric

At 220v, a 4500w element will draw over 20a. If you are limited to a 16a circuit, you could use a 3500w element and just about max it out, with no headroom. If you wanted to use multiple elements, you would need multiple circuits.

Edit: this assumes the element is really at 220v element, as opposed to a 240v element you are running at 220v. The math for that gives you a bit more leeway, but not enough for 4500w elements, as it would draw over 18a and effectively be a 3781w element.

Back