25-gallon BIAB downsides and workarounds

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dude1

Reaction score
I'm considering setting up a 25-gallon single vessel BIAB system such as the one on the picture for the sake of simplicity.

Could the pros in here let me know if there are any serious enough downsides to reconsider this project and the possible workarounds?

Thanks

25gbiab.jpg

I have a 25 gallon BIAB but my pulley is from the garage ceiling. One thing that I have found that improves my process is to put my burner on a dolly, similar to the one below (but I use a metal one). That way, when the mash is done, I can wheel the pot from under the bag. Then lower the bag into a lawn cart to haul off the grains.

31DbPmImX9L.jpg

This might work for you if your floor is smooth and level.

I have a 25 gallon pot with a large basket from arbor fab that works out perfectly. We have a walkout basement with a deck above it, so right now I just use a ratcheting pully to get the basket up high enough for the arbor fab basket rest clips to work, then squeeze down on that.

I'm happy with it - 15 gallon batches are hard to pull off because of total water volume, but I think I can make it work with some reserved water or something. Haven't worked it out yet, but 11g batches are easy.

Just consider that smaller batches may be a pain to do, especially if you like to sparge.
We use a similar system as above (20G), but with just a bag and a "false bottom" I made with a pizza pan and some stainless hardware to keep the bag off the bottom if heat is needed. That false bottom make 5 gallon batches very tough. I made is so I could heat to mashout temps, but me trying to mashout is too hard to regulate with just a burner and don't think it is needed with BIAB. We have reflectix jacket that will hold temps for 1-1.5 hrs only losing a few degrees. Using full volume mash helps hold in the heat. We just hang the bag with a ratchet pulley form a eye I screwed into the overhang of the garage and twist it to squeeze the bag. Silicon gloves help.

Back