24#'s of Grain and 10 Gallon Rubbermaid Mashtun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plankbr

Reaction score
Will I be able to make it work for a 10 gallon batch? I usually mash @ 1.5 qts/gallon. That would be 9 gallons of strike water. Suggestions?

24 lbs. of grain should fit in 10 gallons. You might need to lower your mash thickness a bit, but it should work. I've fit 36 lbs. of grain into my 15-gallon mash tun, and that's the same ratio. (I've also got around 2 gallons of dead space below my false bottom.)

Chris Colby
Editor
beerandwinejournal.com

The most grain I was ever able to mash comfortably in a 10 gallon Igloo cooler was 23 pounds. It was right to the top (I had a relatively flat false bottom). I used 1.25 quarts/pound I believe.

Here's what 24 lbs of grain and 7.5 gallons of strike water look like in my 10 gallon igloo mash tun.

IMG_1289.jpg

Will I be able to make it work for a 10 gallon batch? I usually mash @ 1.5 qts/gallon. That would be 9 gallons of strike water. Suggestions?

I just recently I had a 24# grain bill and was only about to get in about 22-23 pounds. It made a heck of a mess too. I put all the water in first then the grain. If you want to have any chance to get all the grain in, put in maybe 7 gallons of water then all the grain. Then slowly top it off with the rest of your water.

In my mind, I don't plan to do anything over 22# grain bills in mine again (I have a Rubbermaid with a 12" false bottom).

Maybe if you have a smaller false bottom or a tube screen you might fit more.

I don't have a false bottom. I am using a ss braided hose, so I assume I may gain more space due to this?

I watched a guy do 28# last weekend. It was tight but doable. He said that he usually doesn't go over 24# typically, IIRC.

I too have a 10 gal rubbermade, though mine has the false bottom. I found inconsistent efficiency results in grain bills over 23lbs due to what I can only figure is lack of a good stir. It is right at the top and I think the gentle stirring at the end has caused doughballs, ect. Im thinking of buying a second MT for these bigger beers and splitting evenly.

May have to do two mashes. That is a pain and adds an hour+ to the brew day, but it is a safe bet. I have a recirc port at about the 9.5 gallon mark in my igloo. When the level gets above that, it gets dicey for me.

Back