24 hours and no signs fermentation has started... HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phishfinder

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Did some reading around on the site before asking but would like to explain my scenario for some targeted advice, and also to learn what I may have done wrong. I've successfully run three separate batches without issue and something is up with this one.

I'm using picked apples and am juicing and pasteurizing myself. First three batches I heat pasteurized and this one I decided to try campden tabs instead.

Juiced what I thought I needed and only ended up with 4 gallons in a five gallon glass carboy. As I had to get the rest of the apples the next day I went ahead and crushed and added 4 campden tabs and plopped an airlock on. Next day I finished juicing the remaining apples and heat pasteurized the final gallon so I wouldn't have to start the campden clock over. Exactly 24 hours after I added the initial campden I added the remaining gallon of juice into the carboy and added the yeast starter I'd made about an hour earlier. The starter was alive and well when added. I'll mention I used ec1118 yeast. Historically fermentation gets up and going quick and I see action within a few hours. 24 hours later, so 48 after the campden and still nothing. No foam no bubbling.... Just still.

I'm thinking the campden was still too concentrated and wonder if this is isn't my fault for air locking during the campden stage. I stirred this morning as I'd read to try that and still nothing now 12 hours later. I have another starter on standby that I started at noon today. Should I add or wait?

Like many who've experienced this I'm worried about losing the juice... The longer she sits without that CO2 the larger probability of "infection".

Any advice would be appreciated in respect to what I might have done wrong and what I can do to save it.

Thx folks :mug::mug:

Hey everyone,

Did some reading around on the site before asking but would like to explain my scenario for some targeted advice, and also to learn what I may have done wrong. I've successfully run three separate batches without issue and something is up with this one.

I'm using picked apples and am juicing and pasteurizing myself. First three batches I heat pasteurized and this one I decided to try campden tabs instead.

Juiced what I thought I needed and only ended up with 4 gallons in a five gallon glass carboy. As I had to get the rest of the apples the next day I went ahead and crushed and added 4 campden tabs and plopped an airlock on. Next day I finished juicing the remaining apples and heat pasteurized the final gallon so I wouldn't have to start the campden clock over. Exactly 24 hours after I added the initial campden I added the remaining gallon of juice into the carboy and added the yeast starter I'd made about an hour earlier. The starter was alive and well when added. I'll mention I used ec1118 yeast. Historically fermentation gets up and going quick and I see action within a few hours. 24 hours later, so 48 after the campden and still nothing. No foam no bubbling.... Just still.

I'm thinking the campden was still too concentrated and wonder if this is isn't my fault for air locking during the campden stage. I stirred this morning as I'd read to try that and still nothing now 12 hours later. I have another starter on standby that I started at noon today. Should I add or wait?

Like many who've experienced this I'm worried about losing the juice... The longer she sits without that CO2 the larger probability of "infection".

Any advice would be appreciated in respect to what I might have done wrong and what I can do to save it.

Thx folks :mug::mug:

Because you have campden in the juice there is no immediate danger of infection.

You should wait at least 2 days till you worry. I would wait 3. If after 3 days no change then add yeast nutrients and re-pitch yeast. I see nothing wrong with what you did.

If you want to add more yeast now that's fine too there is no negative to doing it.

Thank you soooo much!! I thought the campden might help with that and really appreciate the clarification.

I did repitch last night and am happy to report she's off and roaring.

thanks again for taking the time reply and hopefully one day I can return the favour.

:rockin::rockin::rockin:

Latest posts

Back