21% ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerzeedevil13

Reaction score
Cause of Death
5 gallons/19 L, all-grain | virtual OG = 1.210 FG = 1.044 | IBU = ?? | SRM = ?? | ABV = 21%

Ingredients:

31 lbs. (14 kg) Maris Otter pale ale malt
32 AAU Warrior hops (60 min) (2.0 oz. /57 g of 16% alpha acids)
18 AAU Amarillo hops (60 min) (2.0 oz./57 g of 9% alpha acids)
13 tablets Beano
White Labs WLP099 (Super High Gravity Ale) yeast
Step by Step:

Make a 1-gallon (3.8-L) yeast starter with an original gravity of 1.066. Put wort in 6.5-gallon (25-L) carboy and pitch yeast.

Heat 9.7 gallons (37 L) of water to 157 °F (69 °C) and stir in crushed grains. You will need at least 14 gallons/56 quarts (53 L) of mash tun space to do this. Let mash rest for at least 90 minutes at 146 °F (63 °C) or until an iodine test indicates conversion is complete. (I mashed over-night). You are shooting for a very fermentable wort. Recirculate until the wort is clear and then begin the runoff. Sparge with 180 °F (82 °C) until grain bed temperature reaches 170 °F (77 °C), then sparge with 170 °F (77 °C) water. Collect 18 gallons (68 L) of wort and boil to reduce volume to 4.0 gallons (15 L). While boiling, attempt to minimize the amount of color pickup. Cool wort and transfer 1.0 gallon (3.8 L) of wort to your carboy. Aerate well. Can the remaining 3 gallons (11 L) of wort in 1 qt. (~1 L) canning jars. When the main fermentation slows, add more high gravity wort and aerate. Repeat. When all wort has fermented, add 8 tablets of Beano. Add 5 more Beano tablets when fermentation slows again. After beer conditions, keg and force carbonate.

Just came across this recipe in a BYO mag. 21%? wow... how long ? 6-9-12 months? and is this doable in extract form. I dont have beersmith but I'm guessing 18lbs of DME or something to that affect. Seems kinda basic but damn. Also, what is Beano ? this recipe has epic written all over it...

This looks like a Superfly Snukka off the top rope recipe... The Beano is to get the few extra point drop in FG. The starter is even ridiculous.... :)

Latest posts

Back