20G Concord Pot = Old 20G Spike Brewing Pot for Jaybird False Bottom?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FuzzeWuzze

I Love DIY
Reaction score
So i am looking at getting a false bottom for my MLT, problem is im in transition moving so i havent bothered to order my pots until recently and i am getting them the day after Jaybird's 20% off sale ends.

This is the pot i bought
http://www.ebay.com/itm/14110635180...49&var=440202818269&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

And this is Spike's page
http://spikebrewing.com/collections...0-gallon-home-brew-kettle-2-vertical-couplers

I realize that Spike has changed his kettles to be a bit taller and narrower in the new revision?

I'd like to buy the false bottom during the sale, as im 99% sure it will work fine but hesitant to have it not fit over trying to save $25.

Yes, the jaybird fb for the old spike kettles work perfectly in that concord 20 gallon pot. I have two of that same combo and am very happy with them.

Yes, the jaybird fb for the old spike kettles work perfectly in that concord 20 gallon pot. I have two of that same combo and am very happy with them.

Great thanks! Is there a reason you would ever NOT want a handle? Seems like a giant PITA to take out without one to properly clean the MLT.

Do you use the second false bottom as a boil kettle strainer?

I have handles on both of mine. They'd be very hard to get out of the pot without it. I can't think of any good reason not to have them. Yes, I use the second fb in my boil kettle to strain hops. I use mostly whole hops in the boil for this purpose.

I have handles on both of mine. They'd be very hard to get out of the pot without it. I can't think of any good reason not to have them. Yes, I use the second fb in my boil kettle to strain hops. I use mostly whole hops in the boil for this purpose.

Do you do HERMS? If so did you happen to buy a Stainlessbrewing.com coil? Trying to figure out if a 50' is too much for this kettle or not if its 7-8" high if i will have to be putting extra water in during the mash to keep it covered for 10G batches...

So i am looking at getting a false bottom for my MLT, problem is im in transition moving so i havent bothered to order my pots until recently and i am getting them the day after Jaybird's 20% off sale ends.

This is the pot i bought
http://www.ebay.com/itm/14110635180...49&var=440202818269&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

And this is Spike's page
http://spikebrewing.com/collections...0-gallon-home-brew-kettle-2-vertical-couplers

I realize that Spike has changed his kettles to be a bit taller and narrower in the new revision?

I'd like to buy the false bottom during the sale, as im 99% sure it will work fine but hesitant to have it not fit over trying to save $25.

Fell free to leave me comments at checkout "NOT TO BUILD OR SHIP" till you get your kettles and we can figure out the EXACTS then. I would HATE to ship you something that potentially will not work. But the set up you talking about is about a rock solid combo for fit. I am happy to place the order on hold in the Fab Shop for you though, if you wish to do so. So you can get the discount and not have to worry about fit......

Cheers
Jay

Do you do HERMS? If so did you happen to buy a Stainlessbrewing.com coil? Trying to figure out if a 50' is too much for this kettle or not if its 7-8" high if i will have to be putting extra water in during the mash to keep it covered for 10G batches...

Nope, I have a RIMS setup. I can tell you that it's real close to 1 inch vertical height per gallon of liquid in these pots. Of course your HERMS coil would displace some of that. Sounds like it would be close.

Oh, and cheers to Jay for a great false bottom. They aren't the cheapest things in the world, but I did my first real brew on mine last weekend and was super pleased with the runoff rate without getting a stuck sparge and how well the one I have in my boil kettle did filtering a mix of whole and pellet hops. :rockin:

Fell free to leave me comments at checkout "NOT TO BUILD OR SHIP" till you get your kettles and we can figure out the EXACTS then. I would HATE to ship you something that potentially will not work. But the set up you talking about is about a rock solid combo for fit. I am happy to place the order on hold in the Fab Shop for you though, if you wish to do so. So you can get the discount and not have to worry about fit......

Cheers
Jay

Good deal I'll be placing my order this weekend once I make sure I have everything I need In my cart.

Good thing I didn't just order it, got my pots early and it's definitely not 18", more like 17 5/8 but I'll do the paint stir measurement before ordering

Cheers
Jay

Ok I'm confused. If you go to the spike 1.0 page for false bottoms it says 17 9/16" in the small item description which I measured is what I need (17 5/8 is a bit tight) but if you click the link to go to the product page it says it's 18", I'm assuming that's a typo and should be 17 9/16?

Back