2017 Hop Harvest Totals

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thaymond

Reaction score
After seeing the several people already harvesting their hops this year, I figured it was time to begin the collective HBT harvest for Summer and Fall of 2017. The previous years had great responses, and I would expect nothing less this year

If you have had an early Harvest, log your total here. Judging by the threads here on the Hop Growing forum, we have some early entries. 😆

Measure your Dry Yield in oz and add it to the running total. All hop varieties are accepted, just name the variety in your post. Round to the nearest tenth. If you are estimating, use a 5:1 wet to dry ratio. Let's see how much of a harvest we get this year. In 2014, we topped at 952 dry oz. The 2015 total was 1621.88 dry oz, almost double. 2016 yielded 1457.05 oz. As always pics are encouraged.

I have several burrs and many developing cones on all four plants, but none ready to harvest yet, so it will be a while before any harvest from me. Were starting a 0.0 oz.

0.0 oz.

I'm at about the same point as you. Lot's of burrs and a few cones just starting. Doubt i'll be harvesting until late August with the way the summer season has gone. Mine didn't even make it all the way up the trellis this year!

0.00 oz (for now)

Mostly burrs at the moment, but some have become tiny cones now. Only have 2 young plants in small containers now but I'll contribute what I can when they're ready.

So far 31oz of Columbus (this pic is only a fraction of the harvest). Cascade will be harvested tomorrow and Willamette and Chinook later this week. With the wet spring and super sunny/warm summer my hops were very happy (and early) this year

SUPERB !! This will be a great thread with pictures like that in it !! :ban:

^^^^

epryh5.jpg

Do you guys lower the wire and harvest from the ground or use a ladder or something?

I use a ladder, but my trellis is only 10 feet tall. Most hop farms just cut the bine about 3 feet off the ground as long as the plant isnt a first year

Forgot to take a picture but bagged up 12 oz of cascade last night from my first year plant. Should be about it for the year. I have a first year Willamette that might get me about 1/2 oz but that's about it

Either way... Great year for me. Freezer is full, wife isnt so happy :D :ban:

I'm getting about 3 ozs of dried Cascade per week, 1 oz of Magnum. I quit weighing them out of laziness, but as of last week I had put away 10 ozs of Cascade and 3 Magnums, which isn't bad considering I only have one Magnum.
But yesterday I checked again and tomorrow I'll harvest from both varieties and my dozen Cascades are absolutely covered with burrs again. Somebody asked about lowering the rope or using a ladder, since my bines got beaten down in a hailstorm none of mine are taller than 6' but when the recovered they put out dozens of laterals that are starting to cover the ground and the fence beside my hop garden!
Sorry, the total was 68 with my 13 ozs.

I harvested my Goldings yesterday and finished picking all the cones just now.

The wet total is 53 oz. (3 lb. 5 oz) and they are on the drying screen now. I'll give an adjusted total in a few days

3 oz of Centenialls, cant wait to harvest my Galenas.

I think that makes it 71 oz with what corky reported???

I just packaged another 0.5 ounce of Cascade and 1.3 ounce of Centennial this morning. That places us at 72.8 ounces (dried) now.

The Chinooks are getting closer to harvest but not quite there yet. I may get another ounce of Centennial since I didn't cut down the bines to let the smaller "not ready" hops grow some more.

I just packaged another 0.5 ounce of Cascade and 1.3 ounce of Centennial this morning. That places us at 72.8 ounces (dried) now.

The Chinooks are getting closer to harvest but not quite there yet. I may get another ounce of Centennial since I didn't cut down the bines to let the smaller "not ready" hops grow some more.

16 oz of Galena, 8 oz of Newport. Still have four and a half bines left to harvest!

72.8 + 16 + 8 = 96.8 oz

Just packaged another 7.6 oz. More on the dehydrator.

96.8 + 7.6 = 104.4

Just bagged 8.5 ounces of Chinook. I still have a line with 1-2 bines on it that need to be harvested and dried hopefully this afternoon.

104.4 + 8.5 = 112.9 ounces WOOHOO!!! :ban:

This is slightly off topic, but Im gonna ask anyways. Normally I use pellets. this will be the first year that I got a large enough harvest to actually hop during the brewing process. During the boil, flameout and dryhop, do you guys just toss the cones in and let them swim? Or do they need to be bagged and weighted down? Basically what Im asking is, will they ever soak up enough wort/water to not be neutrally buoyant and actually flavor/bitter the beer? Brewing my first batch with my harvest tomorrow. Going all columbus to see how my harvest works out :)

This is slightly off topic, but Im gonna ask anyways. Normally I use pellets. this will be the first year that I got a large enough harvest to actually hop during the brewing process. During the boil, flameout and dryhop, do you guys just toss the cones in and let them swim? Or do they need to be bagged and weighted down? Basically what Im asking is, will they ever soak up enough wort/water to not be neutrally buoyant and actually flavor/bitter the beer? Brewing my first batch with my harvest tomorrow. Going all columbus to see how my harvest works out :)

If you bag them, you will be able to remove them much easier after they have done their bittering work

Definitely bag them. Menards or Home Depot have 3 packs of paint strainer bags for 2 bucks. That's enough for a 60, 10, and 0 minute addition on a wet hop APA. Otherwise you're scooping out hop matter for a long time.

Harvested some of the crop yesterday.

Teamaker : 24 oz dry
Chinook: 24 oz dry
Cascade: 28.8 oz dry

Total Harvested amount: 76.8 oz dry

Total group harvest 142.2 + 76.8 = 219.0 oz

Just harvested all the hops from my Fuggle (first full season): got about 1 oz last week and another 5 or so this week (dry), I look forward to even more next year!

Here's the 2nd batch drying, banana for scale

IMG_0061.jpg

Just bagged the remaining Chinooks, which netted me another 9oz. This week I will pick the remaining Centennials I let mature a little more. It will maybe net me another ounce once dried b/c they are so tiny, but they are packed with lupulin. :)

219.0 + 9 = 228

0.7 oz. CASCADE so far but there are still lots of cones getting ready and even more burrs coming out. Unfortunately, many are turning brown and dying early, and most of the mature cones only have about 25% of the lupulin that the earlier harvest had. :-( Should I fertilize when there are cones?

P_20170828_175156.jpg

P_20170828_175313.jpg

P_20170828_175212.jpg

P_20170828_175252.jpg

1 lb 2.5 oz mount hood
3.5 oz chinook
1.25 oz nugget
.10 oz northern brewer
3lb cascade

All dry

Looks like we're at 303.75. wouldn't hurt if someone double checked my maths

I got 304.55...

232.5 + .7 + 48 + .1 + 1.25 + 3.5 + 18.5 = 304.55

0.7 oz. CASCADE so far but there are still lots of cones getting ready and even more burrs coming out. Unfortunately, many are turning brown and dying early, and most of the mature cones only have about 25% of the lupulin that the earlier harvest had. :-( Should I fertilize when there are cones?

I wouldn't add Nitrogen, but increased levels of Phosphorus seem to be beneficial.

Just bagged another ounce of Centennials.

304.55 + 1 = 305.55

I'll be harvesting more hops from a friend later today who stopped home brewing but let's me take his home grown hops.

Back