2014 Hopslam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Savage06

Reaction score
Bell's launched in NYC this week and grabbing breakfast this morning at work I see a 6 pack of hopslam staring at me for a reasonable $15. I have had it a few years back and was a fan so figured it was a no brainer.

Drinking it now and it has a solid piney hop aroma, very nice malt sweetness but the finish is a hop bitterness and a really assertive and unpleasant raw boozy taste. Akin to a Tripel where the abv got away from you or a really young bourbon barrel aged RIS.

Hard to get past...maybe it is a bad 6er but not living up to the hype for me.

Anybody else experienced this?

That's how it was last year, too hot and too much malt sweetness.

I wasn't at all impressed, and will not waste another $18 on a 6 pack. It's definitely one of the most over-hyped beers that far underwhelms expectations.

New Belgium's Rampant Imperial IPA is much better and only $9 for a 6er. It's so smooth.

I noticed the sweetness more so than the hot alcohol personally, it seemed to coat my mouth almost if that makes sense...

Sent from my iPhone using the Home Brew Talk App

New Belgium's Rampant Imperial IPA is much better and only $9 for a 6er. It's so smooth.

totally agree! i dont think rampant gets the credit it deserves. and i agree with everyone so far that hopslam is just too sweet and it covers up what could be an awesomely hoppy beer.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I'm glad I wasn't the only one disappointed. It's good, just not $18 a six pack good.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think a lot of the hype is that it is a limited release. I will see comparable or better IIPA's sit on the shelf or in cases for a week when Hopslam is gone within the hour at smaller places.

Latest posts

Back