2014 Brew Riot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zmanzorro

Reaction score
Registration for 2014 Brew Riot opened yesterday at:
www.register.brewriot.com

If you are unfamiliar with Brew Riot, it is a homebrewers festival in the Bishop Arts District (Oak Cliff, South Dallas) where lots of local homebrewers come and show off their homebrew. There is a judging portion before the actual festival and then the festival allows the homebrewers to pour their beers for the festival goers. They shut down all of the streets and it's a lot of fun! I'll be there for my 2nd year and I know there are a few other HBTers that show up too! Keep an eye out for Zreet Street Brewing (I'll be collaborating with some other brewing friends, so it might be a varied name).

Feel free to show up, even if you don't have homebrew to serve.

Sunday, May 18th, 4:00-8:00 pm, Bishop Arts District

$20 for festival goers

$20 for brewing teams to enter (5 gal minimum)

Details at:
www.brewriot.com

Interesting. Do most home brewers bring kegged beer, or is it a mix of kegs and bottles? I ask because I'd like to try to brew some beer for this, but I am not to the kegging point yet.

Very cool. I have never attended this event, but I did the Deep Ellum Labor of Love last year and had a blast. I will have to look into this one. Thanks for the heads-up!

Does this one operate like the Labor of Love? Meaning, I enter one or two beers into the competition but I can bring four or five kegs of different beers from which to serve/People's Choice?

The majority of people do keg their beer, but last year, I just showed up with a few coolers of bottles and it worked out fine.

You don't have to enter in all of the beers you pour but if don't enter them, they won't be listed on the hand out. Most people just wander around asking what you have, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

From what I read about Labor of Love, I would assume it's the same. I've always meant to enter, but I've always been out of town for Labor Day.

Ok, thanks. Did you find that 5 gallons was enough, or did you have more? I'm still pretty new to brewing, so I'm only setup to do 5 gallons at a time right now.

This is something I would really like to do, so I can get some real feedback on how I'm doing. Everyone who has tried my beer so far likes it, but I never know if they're just humoring me or not.

Having said that, I like it, and that's really what matters most to me, but if I can improve my beers from doing something like this, I'd be all for it.

Thanks for the answers!

I brought a total of 10 gallons with a total of 3 variations of the beer I entered, and had a little bit left over.

FWIW, I took 4 kegs to Labor of Love and came home with one keg that had about 1 gal in it. And that took less than 3 hours. First keg kicked in just over an hour, second about 30 minutes later. Each keg was different type of beer. I don't know what the turn out at Brew Riot is like, but LoL was huge.

I would imagine Brew Riot is bigger. They have expanded to 55 teams (6 more than last year) and all of the streets were packed last year with people. They bring in live music and some of the local breweries are there giving out samples.

I think I'll wait until next year to brew beer for this and enter, but I'll be there this year to sample others' wares for sure! That will give me time to get my all-grain setup going, and possibly get into kegging.

Trooper Brewing will be there! (me) If you guys stop by my booth let me know you're on HBT!

I'm officially registered! Look for Panther Street Brewing (a collaboration between Zreet Street (me) and Lazy Panther (my friends in Fort Worth))!

ok so im hoping someone here can help me out i signed up to serve my brew at this even i used the link that zmanzorro put up, filled out everything payed my $20. i got an email for my judging # for my beers but nothing else is there any other info that i need to know. Im also confused that they dont have anything up about 2014 on the website. im just wondering if they should have told me that i got a spot out of the 55. thanks in advance

happy brewing

When it gets closer, they'll let you know what to do. Really the only thing is to have two bottles ready to turn in for judging about a week before. For the festival, they'll provide you with a tent, table, and a dump bucket. Everything else is up to you. Feel free to PM me with specific questions. This is a fairly small operation, so there aren't many people running it.

I've signed up again as Holy brewing. Definitely look forward to seeing trooper and zreet/panther street again.

Please come try my brews and mention you're on HBT. I'll be sure to treat you well. :mug: I have a couple lagers lagering and a few ales aging.

I'm trying to make a better effort at marketing this year and have a few shirts for my "staff" with the Swamp Donkey logo. I am also bringing more beer to hand out as last years 5 gallons of each brew went pretty quick. I should have three or four entered and at least 5 gallons each. Maybe 10 of Swamp Donkey. ;)

Necktie Brewery will be there again this year. Third year for us. Always an amazing time.

Happy to answer any questions for first timers.

Everyone that has replied here are at the following booths:

Holy Brewing: 9
Necktie Brewery: 13
Panther Street (me): 4W
Trooper Brewing: 30

Hope to see all of you (and others) there on Sunday!

Everyone that has replied here are at the following booths:

Holy Brewing: 9
Necktie Brewery: 13
Panther Street (me): 4W
Trooper Brewing: 30

Hope to see all of you (and others) there on Sunday!

Make sure to check out KBCB, (Knowles Brothers Craft Brewery). I spoke to one of the brothers a couple of weeks ago. They are planning on serving 7 different beers, including their super hopped #Hashtag. It placed at Bluebonnet this year. Both brothers are HBT'ers. Great brewers, better people.

Doesn't look like I am going to be able to make it our :( You guys have fun and drink one for me.

FWIW, I had some of KBCB's brews at the Labor of Love Festival, and they were good. I even have one of their stickers on my kegerator.

My feet are sore, my voice is shot, and somehow I didn't get sunburned. Brew Riot was a success. If any of you stopped by the Dallas Homebrew Collective, that was my group.

Didn't make it over to DHC, but I think I hit up most of the other HBT booths. We had a blast over at Panther Street too!

Didn't make it over to DHC, but I think I hit up most of the other HBT booths. We had a blast over at Panther Street too!

I talked to a couple guys from Panther Street and tried the pepper beer from y'all's booth. Good stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sounds like an awesome time, wanna hit this up next year!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back