2013 Chinook Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muchacho

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi-

I recently made an all chinook pale ale using 2013 hops from hops direct. Although I have had several commercial beers focusing on chinook, this is the first one that I have made in a long time (>15 yrs). I am very surprised with the results. The beer has a dominant over-ripe tropical fruit aroma and taste. Along the lines of citra. I don’t get any of the piney character that I was expecting. Have you ever seen chinook taste like that? Is it possible that the hops were substituted for something else?

The recipe was straight forward ~85% brewers 2 row, 5% caraPils, 10% crystal 15. OG 1.054 -> FG 1.012. Used pacman @ ~ 64 degrees.
Chinook 0.75 oz @ 60, 0.5 oz @ 10, 0.5 @ whirlpool, and 2 oz dry hop. I was messing around with a hop bag that definitely led to poor hop extraction- I estimate that the amounts of hops are reduced by about half. Actually I was aiming to make an IPA, but I am calling it a pale ale given the low levels of hops.

Thanks!

I recently made an all chinook pale ale using 2013 hops from hops direct. Although I have had several commercial beers focusing on chinook, this is the first one that I have made in a long time (>15 yrs). I am very surprised with the results. The beer has a dominant over-ripe tropical fruit aroma and taste. Along the lines of citra. I don’t get any of the piney character that I was expecting. Have you ever seen chinook taste like that? Is it possible that the hops were substituted for something else?

I picked up a couple pounds of the 2013 crop from Hops Direct also (leaf form). I have only brewed a Stone AB inspired ale with them (2-row with some dark crystal and a lot of Chinook throughout and hopstand). The aroma is definitely fruity (with some clean herbal in the background) and the taste is very tropical as you described. It isn't quite what I was expecting, but I like it even better. I think this may have been a good year for Chinook!

That's what chinook is for me, especially if I use it in the whirlpool or dry hop. The only time I've ever experienced the spicy/piney flavors people describe it as is when it's been boiling for at least 30 minutes. I'm guessing at that point all the delicious fruity notes have volatized and the oils still left in solution are the piney/grapefruit ones (they possibly have a higher boiling point)

Thanks for the replies. I am pretty disappointed with my brew, but blame it on poor hop extraction through the hop bag. It is cloyingly sweet without the bitterness.
Is it possible to take a gallon or so of the keg and boil it with some hops, cool, and then add back to get some IBUs?
Glad to hear that Chinook can be so fruity and that it is not just me

Don't re-boil your finished beer, just make up a half quart of hop tea with water and pour it in (quietly). 60 minutes with an ounce of Chinook should give you a substantial boost in IBUs and bite. Start off with extra water to account for boil-off.

I grow all my Chinook and haven't noticed any difference between this years crop and last years, but I generally don't do late additions with Chinook as I have plenty of home-grown Cascade and Centennial for that...

Cheers!

I also got some of the chinook from hops direct when it was on sale for black friday, I have used it as dry hop and just recently made a pale ale using chinook and amarillo, I am getting heavy spice notes out of all of the beers...

To the point where they smell and taste borderline belgian... I am not exactly thrilled with the results of this hop, and am wondering WTF the pine qualities are at...

Latest posts

Back