2012 Summit Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marc1

Reaction score
I'm thinking about ordering some of these guys but the quality seems to be very crop dependent. Good crop = citrus/tangerine, bad crop = onion/garlic.

What have your experiences been with the 2012 harvest?
Where did you get them and when? Whole or pellet? What was the %AA?

Perhaps we can nail down some info on the good and bad batches.

For example, pellets from such and such supplier with x% AA were bad when ordered in January. If the stock at that merchant has turned over since then, and they have sourced a different batch, then the %AA would perhaps be different. I would probably be wary of all 2012 pellet hops with that %AA, however. In fact, the %AA for a harvest year is probably going to be a pretty good identifier for a particular farm's crop.

What do you think?

The Farmhouse Brewing Supply 2012 batch of pellets that I have at 15.9% AA is really nice. I dry hopped with it and there's no onion/garlic smell.

The Farmhouse Brewing Supply 2012 batch of pellets that I have at 15.9% AA is really nice. I dry hopped with it and there's no onion/garlic smell.

Excellent! This is exactly what I'm looking for. Currently their website says the AA is 16.0%... think that they are rounding?

Well, I'll soon find out how those 2012 Summit are - I brewed up a beer with 3oz of them and 3oz of 2012 Bravo late in the boil. I've got an ounce of each left for dry hopping the keg, The pellets smelled good. They've been stored vacuum sealed in the freezer.

Back