2011 Crop Blowout - 23 Varieties for 20% OFF At Nikobrew.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikobrew

Reaction score
Fellow Homebrewers,

Today at 10AM MST we will put all of our remaining 2011 crop stock on sale for 20% off with coupon code HBTHOPS. These will be located in the "Summer Blow Out" category that will be visible at that time. When each variety sells out they will go offline and when they are replenished with 2012 crop stock will reappear on our main hops page. The sale ends at 10am MST on 8/2 or when they're gone, whichever comes first.

Some of these hops are available in 2oz packs, some in full pounds and some in both.

Standard Nikobrew $5 Flat Rate Shipping applies to all domestic orders of hops (pellet). This includes Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands and APO/FPO addresses. International shipping is $25 (or $21 for Canada) for 4 full pounds or 3 1/2 pounds of mixed increments and international customers must use PayPal as their payment method.

Thanks folks and have a great weekend. PROST!

-Niko-

Any suggestions by Niko or others as to how to adjust the AA for 2 year old hops? Assuming they are vacuumed sealed stored in a freezer over this time, how would we adjust the AA to fully understand what we are buying? Thanks.

2 years old hop seems kinda old... I am not an expert, but are they still good after that long? I am not trying to offend or stop a sale..., just curious.

Any suggestions by Niko or others as to how to adjust the AA for 2 year old hops? Assuming they are vacuumed sealed stored in a freezer over this time, how would we adjust the AA to fully understand what we are buying? Thanks.

That's a great question although because of the ways our hops are stored there is very minimal alpha loss compared to other crop years. Hops are harvested in the fall, pelletized, put into mylar bags that are nitrogen flushed and vacuum sealed, then stored well below freezing. We receive them in 11 or 44 lb bags (usually 44 lb) and we break them down into 2oz and 1 lb packs using an industrial chamber vacuum sealer. We put full pounds in mylar and 2oz in poly bags and are still stored well below freezing until they ship to you. Our transit time is 2-3 business days (a little longer for Alaska and Hawaii and sometimes a couple of weeks to other countries). From the time we package to the time we ship them is generally very short as we move a lot of hops.

There is not a calculator that will be accurate with those factors, though since they are stored properly I personally use them with the AA% we mark on their bags, though if you're concerned I would just add a little more. Storage is much more important than crop year. Had we vacuum sealed these and had them sitting around since they were pelletized that would be one thing, though since they come from the nitrogen flushed mylar to smaller packs to you in a short period of time, it has not been an issue for any of our customers, even those that are half way around the world :)

2 years old hop seems kinda old... I am not an expert, but are they still good after that long? I am not trying to offend or stop a sale..., just curious.

No worries, I'm not offended by any means. One of our suppliers actually did some testing and showed that even after 2-3 years, being stored properly (nitrogen flushed mylar below freezing) there was almost no loss in acid content.

Not to knock local homebrew shops, but they generally don't move hops as quickly as we do. So if they had 2011 crop hops laying around, it is possible that they were repackaged into smaller increments quite a while ago. At the same time many shops store hops very well which is why most (not all) don't post crop years because they can be misleading. If you have 2012 crop hops that haven't been stored properly they would be much less fresh than 2011 crop that have been stored properly. We move ours so quickly they are still very fresh according to our customers, including pro brewers.

This is not to say that it isn't nice to have the newest crop possible (which for domestic hops is 2012 crop), which is why we're blowing these out. Most of these varieties we have left from the 2011 crop we have from the 2012 crop and would love to put them online but need to move these first. So, win win :)

I'm also going to be off until the evening, have a great day folks, thanks!

Back