2007 Hop Rhizomes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anyone know of a variety that grows well in southern heat? i tried years ago to grow some and it grew well until the hades-like heat kicked in. then disaster. looking for some tips from some southerners.

Water, lots of water. In the Washington/Oregon hop regions 100-105F and 16 hours of sun are normal. I had 89 days without rain. Water every 2 days when the temperature is over 100F.

Whelk said:
You can estimate it, but only within the usual range of the hop (at least, as far as I know). I've been told not to use them for bittering, only for flavor or aroma.

I've given this advice about not using them for bittering. I took this from the Homebrewers Garden Book that I have on hand. The authors think its a waste to use fresh hops for bittering. You boil away all the freshness; flavor & aroma. They indicated that dry hops (pellets) are better for bittering because you know the bittering potential. They are cheap and readily available at the LHBS, so why waste precious fresh hops for bittering?

I agree with this opinion. The fresh hops should be saved for late additions unless you have tons to use up. Personally, if had that much hops I would do two other things before bittering with them. Either give them to my other brewing buddies or make a fresh hop beer using the undried green hops.

This reminds me of a thing I saw on "The History of Beer" on A&E. This one micro brewery was using green hops to flavor their beer. They took beer from either a primary or 2ndary and pumped it through a large screw on cartridge filter. They completely removed the filter and filled the thing full of green hops and pumped the beer threw it to another vessel. A new meaning to a hop filter! I thought it was pretty cool.

:mug:

I just planted two each of Northern Brewer and Willamette that I got from Williams Brewing. Still waiting on the 4 Cascade from Northern Brewer to arrive.

I was just out working on my hop bed and noticed my Cascades are already up and about 2" tall.....Can't wait for some "Freshed Hopped Ale".

I am looking to buy a few rhizomes to try my hand at growing some hops and at ~$4 each I figured why not. I live in Atlanta, GA and I was hoping someone would be able to give me suggestions as to what varieties I should look at getting. Since I am a fan of all varieties of beer that is not an issue, i just want something that will grow well here and give a decent yield. On that note, is there any hope that I will be able to grow enough to brew with (or dry hop)? For that to happen, about how many plants should I look at getting?

Thanks for your help.

Also, I am looking at freshops.com is that a good source or there is somewhere else to look.

Fuggles, Cascade & NB have sprouted! 25 Mar.

Freshops is a good source.

Once your plants are established plant on 1-4 pounds DRIED per plant. If you have something like Magnum it can run 10+ pounds.

So I did some more reading. I am going to go with Cascade for sure. Freshops.com recommends Nugget for beginners, but since this is a bittering hop I'd rather not bother.

So I guess my question becomes is there another high-yield, good-for-beginners, flavoring/aroma hop I should try to grow?

Also, about what will be yield for the first year per cascade plant?

Nugget also works for flavor and aroma. One of the best IPAs at last fall's Fresh Hop Fest was all Nugget.

Fuggle can do very well in most areas, as can East Kent Golding.

Woohoo! My cascades are 3" tall and have five bines coming out of the ground. I also traded a sixer of my drop top clone for some Nugget and Mt. Hood rhizomes (50 mi round trip and the SWMBO thinks I was insane to do it) and already have them planted.

Yess...... my precioussesss... grow for daddy.... yess.... *rubs hands gleefully*

I just placed my order for 2 cascade and 2 williamete Rhizomes. Now I am off to the Depot to figure out how i will erect a trellis for them.

Has anyone who pre-ordered from Northern Brewer gotten theirs yet? I preordered in February and still haven't gotten mine. Think I'll cal them tomorrow.

woo hoo,
my golding and williamette came in yesterday from midwest. now where did i put that pvc pipe from the duck blind?:mug:

Still waiting for 'zomes from NB. Ordered early march. hope they show up this week.

Just saw weather forecast for this week and it says lows in the 20's at night around here. So I guess I don't need to be in any big hurry to get in ground.

uuurang said:
Mr. Whelk, what did northern brewer tell you when you called?

They said they were harvesting and that my order would be shipped out a week from the day I posted on here, but then I actually received my hops two days later. I'd give them a call if you haven't gotten yours yet, though there probably isn't a problem.

Ok, i just received 4 rhizomes in the mail from B3. One of the rhizomes appears to be nothing more than a stick. no sprouts shooting out of it or anything. and it looks dry as a bone. will this produce anthing?

Sweetness!!! Came home to find 4 pack of centennial, cascade, mt. hood & brewers gold smelling earthy and moist. AAAhHHH. Me so happy now! Just gotta wait till it warms up a bit.

FWIW, did ya know the northern brewer store is going to be open for easter sunday regular hours. Double sweetness! I' m in.

Reverend JC, rhizomes being little more than a stick is normal. It's actually a root offshoot and if it's still alive will grow just fine. Plant it and water it every day and it should be alright.

I read these forums too much.
I getting ready to bottle my third brew and I just ordered 4 hop rhizomes from Freshops. I'm planning to plant them on my parents farm. They have lots of room and a great spot for the trellis.
I'm pretty sure I am going to stick with this hobby but now I have a real incentive to continue to brew so I can use some of my own fresh hops.

I have a question. Everything I've read says to dry the hops before using them. Is there any reason you can't use the fresh hops at harvesting time? I thought it would be fun to "dry hop" with hop cones right off the vine.

Craig

CBBaron said:
I read these forums too much.
I getting ready to bottle my third brew and I just ordered 4 hop rhizomes from Freshops. I'm planning to plant them on my parents farm. They have lots of room and a great spot for the trellis.
I'm pretty sure I am going to stick with this hobby but now I have a real incentive to continue to brew so I can use some of my own fresh hops.

I have a question. Everything I've read says to dry the hops before using them. Is there any reason you can't use the fresh hops at harvesting time? I thought it would be fun to "dry hop" with hop cones right off the vine.

Craig

You can definitely brew with wet hops. I did last year and it was an interesting beer.

Really grassy.

Got mine on Friday. They're sitting in the garage so that they stay cold and dormant until I can get them in the ground, hopefully next Saturday.

razyrsharpe said:
anyone know of a variety that grows well in southern heat? i tried years ago to grow some and it grew well until the hades-like heat kicked in. then disaster. looking for some tips from some southerners.

on the midwest site they list a little info on what hops grow best in certain climates, chinook seems to grow well in hot areas according to them. next year i might try some differeent varietys that freshophops have. ive got the green thumb bug i cant wait to plant mine this week. im going to grow mine up my fence and then string them up and across over to my tree and make a hop canapy i can sit under (hopefully).

2x cascade
2x golding
2x mt hood
2x centennial
2x northern brewer
2x willamette

i wonder if my garden will stink out my unsuspecting neighbors :D

here is my source that i bought hop rhizomes from it is a organic micro brew house farm that grows there own they carry the following types golding,fuggle,nugget,mt.hood,willamette,cascade,bullion,centennial, they also have a detailed hope growing manual which descibes the bc climate it is on there website in pdf. the rhizomes are $4.50 cad each and shipping is under 5 $8 5-15 for $16 and 15-25 for $24 .

http://www.crannogales.com/
here is the hop page
http://www.crannogales.com/farm.html
they are located 2 hours from kelowna or 1.5 hours from vernon out by salmonarm in british columbia

they just started digging rhizomes in april.

if anyone has a better source in canada please let me know so i can order from them next year.

I have 2 Cascades, 2 Fuggles and 2 Goldings in the ground against a cinder block wall with an eastern exposure. I'm hoping that late afternoon shade will give them some relief. They'll be on an automatic drip, but there's no telling what 100°F+ temps will do over 3 months.

I planted mine last Saturday

Im in the high desert so hopefully they will do ok. The sun isnt too bad up here

I did a hallatauer and a fuggle

olllllo said:
I have 2 Cascades, 2 Fuggles and 2 Goldings in the ground against a cinder block wall with an eastern exposure. I'm hoping that late afternoon shade will give them some relief. They'll be on an automatic drip, but there's no telling what 100°F+ temps will do over 3 months.

Well, if it comes down to it you could think about installing some misters as well since you already have the drip system. Just at dusk put them on for a few minutes to help them revive. You might be surprised though, even if they wilt and look horrible they'll probably still be fine as long as they get the water they need every week. I'd be interested in hearing how it goes at any rate.

zoebisch01 said:
Well, if it comes down to it you could think about installing some misters as well since you already have the drip system. Just at dusk put them on for a few minutes to help them revive. You might be surprised though, even if they wilt and look horrible they'll probably still be fine as long as they get the water they need every week. I'd be interested in hearing how it goes at any rate.

Unfortunately, it's on the ass end of the whole system, so as the Hybiscus goes, so go the hops. In the long term I may have a differnt pipe run out these but it wont happen this year.

I was going to wait to post this until i got home, but i ordered 4 rhizomes from B3 and they are all about the thickness of a pinky finger and 4" long (keep all penis refrences to yourselves please). My buddy dropped by the other day and gave 4 cascade rhizomes that are about 14" long and about an 1"1/2 wide. I should be able to cut them in half at least and end up with 4 realy hearty rhizomes.

planted cascade, mt. hood, centenial and brewers gold. the cascade is poking out of soil after two weeks:rockin: .
Visited LHBS this morn. and they still had some rhizomes for sale. Threw down a fiver and planted a Williamette next to the house. I don't have high hopes though, it been in cooler for awhile and there was some mold growing on the end of it. If it likes it's new home it will make papa happy.:drunk: :drunk:

I've got 4 plants with at least 1 sprout each. One of them is about 4 inches tall, the rest are about 1/2 an inch.

I need to setup my support system for my hops this weekend. I have 4 plants, all in a straight line and all between 2 trees. My plan was to run a wire from tree to tree, then a wire down to each plant. My questions are:
Is this going to work ok?
How do I "attach" the plant to the wire?
How do I secure the wire to the ground so it doesn't just blow around in the wind?

Use heavy string from the horizontal wire down to the plants. I just put stakes in the ground to run the string to and then just train the bines to wrap around the string (clockwise).
1332-stake.jpg

1332-horizontal.jpg

1332-hops412.jpg

Wow, are those recent pics? My biggest plant is about 1 foot tall!

how high up did you put the horizontal wire?

I just took them this morning. As far as the horizontal line it is a heavy line that runs from a pole anchored to my privacy fence to an eyebolt on the side of my shed with pulley's on each end for easy harvest.
These are rizhomes from last year 1 is Cascade and 1 is Centennial.

This picture was taken about 6 weeks ago.
1332-hop-5.JPG

Back