20 oz or 5 lb co2 tank???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgough

Reaction score
I have limited space in my mini fridge and wanted to try and squeeze 2 mini kegs in it. That being said, I might only have room for a 20 oz. Co2 tank. Will this be enough for 2 corny kegs, or is the 5lb tank a necessity? Thanks in advance

:mug:

i have used a 20 oz tank and it really is only good for about 1.5 corny kegs.. I have not been able to get two cornies carbed and poured out of one fill on the 20 oz.

If it you dont mind getting it filled often then go for it.. otherwise a 2.5 or 5 lb tank would be better.

well a 20oz tank is a little more than 1/5 of a 5lb tank. most people say 6-8 batches off a 5lb tank, so if impetus is getting 1.5 batches, then that seems right.

sure can't be beat for convenience since you can buy tanks at academy and whatnot. I have to drive out of town to hit the gas shop. I was really considering paintball tanks size my fridge space is limited and I can't hack it up (apartment....)

Naturally carbing a keg and then just using CO2 to serve it is always an option. You'd get quite a bit more use out of a smaller tank that way.

If you are looking at a 5 pounder option, consider larger if your setup won't be hindered with the size of the tank- I say this because it is cheaper by volume to fill a larger tank then a small one (my local place is $10 for a 5 pounder, $14 for a 20 pounder). Most places are like that, but check out your local welding/fire extinguisher places to see what it cost (good idea to check it out either way).

From my experience, if you are only using the 20oz tank to dispense then you can get potentially 7 (5 gallon) corny kegs.... Now when you force carb or run multi lines off one 20oz tank, then results would vary accordingly...

Back