20% oats in a stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadu

Reaction score
I was talking to a pro brewer the other day and he was telling me he uses 20% rolled oats in his oatmeal stout. It was really a pretty decent stout, had a nice full body despite being at the low end for FG and no cloying sweetness.

Anyone have any thoughts on this? My oatmeal stout which is nice uses 10% oats which seems to be pretty much the standard. I'm keen to give it a try but I also have a fair bit of specialty malts and I'm not sure if I'd run into conversion issues.

Here's what I'm looking at making...

OG 1.060, FG approx 1.018 - 1.020

60% English ale malt
20% toasted rolled oats (unmalted)
4% brown malt
4% dark chocolate
4% dark crystal
4% roast barley (unmalted)
4% roast wheat (unmalted)

35 IBU of Kent Goldings plus a small 20 min flavour addition
Some kind of English/Irish ale yeast depends what's available. S-04 is plan B.

I have brewed this a few times with 10% oats and it comes out good, but this commercial one was better for sure. I don't have any other details of the recipe other than 20% oats.

So yeah, thought I'd check here and see what people think. Main concern is whether it will convert with all that unmalted specialty grain.

Cheers :ban:

Just an update on this.

I brewed this under pressure in a corny keg with WLP002 @ 68f/20c. Lost my hydrometer so I couldn't get an OG reading, but the FG was 1.023 so quite a bit higher than last time. Closed transferred to a keg on day 6 and stuck it in the fridge. Took a PET bottle to a party after 7 days and it was pretty decent.

Had a couple of pints last night (day 12), possibly one of the best stouts I've made yet. Really nice balance between sweetness and bitter, and the foam on top is perfect.

Back