20 Days and still bubblin!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gluten

Reaction score
Jebus this stuff won't quit! I've been looking forward to bottling all week but it just won't quit! I want to add a second infusion of gelatin to clear it up but I'm reluctant after what happened last time I added gelatin while fermentation was still going on.

img0228kc7.jpg

According to they hydro it's down to 1.014 from 1.055, I suppose I'll been waiting around till 1.010, then gelatin then wait more! Mah patience is wearing thin!

Here's a pic from yesterday.

1.014 is alright for bottling, but isf it is still active then let it sit, brewing builds patience....
What kind of brew is that?

It's a gluten free extract brew with some steeping grains

6lbs of Briess Sorghum extract
.75lbs of Toasted GF Oats (steeped)
1lb of Toasted Quiona (steeped)
4oz of lactose
4oz of molasses
1oz of Galena@60

1/2oz of Galena@30
1/2oz of Sterling@30

1/2oz of Sterling@10
1/2oz of Willamette@10

1/2oz of Willamatte@flameout

Using Safale 04

It's quite orange isn't it?

That beer looks like pumpkin pie filling

I'd love to see what that looks like once it's finished.

I've actually done this recipe before but slightly modified. It came out pretty well but I wouldn't really know how to describe it.

All I can say is despite having burnt the extract on the bottom of the pot it was very drinkable. It was very rich but finished smooth. It kind of reminded me of a *thick Bass*. A couple of bottles really highlighted the burnt flavor but it mellowed with time.

The one thing that really surprised me was how intoxicating just one bottle was. Maybe this is true of all homebrew because of how the hops contribute as opposed to macro brews.

Also if you plan to use Quiona in your brew make extra sure that you use a good grain bag. The quiona tends to split in half during the steeping and a little half moon black piece that was holding the two halves together falls out and is a real pain in the ass the strain out.

The one thing that really surprised me was how intoxicating just one bottle was. Maybe this is true of all homebrew because of how the hops contribute as opposed to macro brews.

I've noticed this too, a single bottle of homebrew is worth nearly 2 bottle of commercial beer ABV-wise!

Anyways, I have a Honey Wheat beer that has been bubbling for 29 days since pitching the yeast. I'm getting a bubble every 45 seconds and it's nice and clear but I figure I should wait until airlock action is nil before bottling it as I don't want to create bottles bombs with my first brew!

I bet it's the molasses that's making it take so long. The last time I brewed with honey, the fermentation took over 2 weeks.

Also, holy crap.. is that yeast at the bottom of the carboy? That has to be nearly 2.5" thick. Your fermenter looks like a 5 gallon yeast starter the morning after a crash cool.

Back