20,30,40 or 60 plate Chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eryk4381

Reaction score
I am wondering, from people that have them, what the best number of plates would be for 5 gallon batches. Keep in mind I also make up to 30 gallons so i am looking for an in between. I have a immersion chiller now and I'm thinking a 30 plate would be like night and day.

Any comments?

How valuable is your time? More plates means faster chilling. The temp of your hose water is a factor too. If you're not using an O2 tank you might want a slower flow into the fermentor too.

Thank you.. I tell you what. Sometimes it's a pain in the ass setting up the chiller I have now and using plate chiller at a slower pace, since I don't have a pump as yet, a 30 plate would probably be good. Thank you for your advice.

I purchased the B23-20 plate chiller two years ago and brew twice a month 10-13 gallon batches, took about 50 gallons of water at 48-55 f from a well at 40 psi to cool my wort to approx 72 F. So my concern was water saving so i purchased the B23-36 60 plate chiller. Well now i can run my march pump wide open and regulate the water flow to achieve 72 F in about 5-6 minutes. Huge water and time saving worth the extra money at $279 vs $99.

I purchased the B23-20 plate chiller two years ago and brew twice a month 10-13 gallon batches, took about 50 gallons of water at 48-55 f from a well at 40 psi to cool my wort to approx 72 F. So my concern was water saving so i purchased the B23-36 60 plate chiller. Well now i can run my march pump wide open and regulate the water flow to achieve 72 F in about 5-6 minutes. Huge water and time saving worth the extra money at $279 vs $99.

5-6 minutes at the typical residential flowrate of 10 gpm = 50-60 gallons. Where is the water savings?

More plates means faster chilling.

More plates means a faster flow rates for the chiller. It doesn't mean faster chilling. If you want the best bang for your buck, you need to get the longer versions of the plate chiller. More width and length equals faster chilling for plate chillers.

I have the longer version Duda 20 plate and love it. If I didn't get it at such a great price, I'd have gotten the 30 plate version. I think it's the best option without blowing your wallet for up to 15 gallon batch sizes.

5-6 minutes at the typical residential flowrate of 10 gpm = 50-60 gallons. Where is the water savings?

I save the water from a brew day and now it takes less than 30 gallons of water compared to 50 to cool my wort. But time savings is my benefits. More time for ysrd work etc.

Time savings are definitely key. I can chill 50 gallons with my therminator in 15 minutes, AND it's all transferred at the same time. You just need to be on top of your sanitation with plate chillers.

Recieved the b23 60 plate chiller today its huge in comparison. So I tried a hot water run. Had to turn my water down to control temp because it was the same as my tap temp 48f. Granted water has a lower viscosity but very impressed. Now to build a stainless stand to mount it on.

60 plate vs 20 plate, just a size pic for comparison. FYI

DSCN2925.jpg

DSCN2924.jpg

008.jpg

I am wondering, from people that have them, what the best number of plates would be for 5 gallon batches. Keep in mind I also make up to 30 gallons so i am looking for an in between. I have a immersion chiller now and I'm thinking a 30 plate would be like night and day.

Any comments?

If someone already stated the below in the thread, my apologies for reiteration, but I'm going out the door and wanted to post something that will otherwise help:

I've read two different articles stating the length of the plates is a more predominate factor in a plate chillers efficiency, that is, distance between input and output holes, than the number of plates. That being said, one must be within reason such as to not compare a 12 inch one-plate chiller with a 60 plate 5 inch chiller.

No, I don't have the articles in front of me, nor did I book-mark the web pages. I do recall reading tho that with the same surface area the longer plate chiller will be the more efficient one. I'm no expert, just passing on the 'jist' of the same things you or anyone here can find with a google search...

Yea also have read a pile of reviews and agree longer plate more heat transfer. I guess my post's point is that the B23-60 is a Ferrari compared to a Yugo if you want fast chilling. My water temps are very low even in summer being on a well. 48F to 52F. The 60 plate has no problem cooling my wort to 55f if i leave the pump and water wide open. I use a march pump. So now my output heat on the water side is very hot. cooled 13 gallons of wort to 68F in about 5 minutes.

030.jpg

Back