2 year old Pumking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vegetarisk

Reaction score
Just did a side by side comparison with a Southern Tier Pumking from 2012 vs. a fresh one bought two weeks ago.

Wasn't sure how the spice/pumpkin flavor would hold up when aged, since I remember this beer tasting like an entire pumpkin pie in a bottle. Biggest difference was the strong malt presence in the 2012 as some of the slice flavors subsided. The pumpkin aroma dissipated somewhat but was still there, along with the nutmeg flavor. The ready malt backbone really stood out in the 2012. No sediment in the 2012 when poured, but compared to the 2014 it was very hazy and had no head. Overall I'd say the fresh Pumking wins out, but the 2012 was just....different.

I think I'm gonna store a bottle of warlock and do the same thing. I have only ever had fresh pumking though so i might put away a bottle of that as well.

I've got pumking from 2012 onward and warlock from last year. As soon as I get ahold of this year's pumking I'll do a "vertical". :)

I've actually passed on the Warlock many times. I'll have to try a bottle this year!

I did a 2013 vs 2014 - I felt like the older had a definite spice flavor, but the pumpkin and vanilla was gone.

I also had a 2014 Warlock - I love southern tier, but their flavored beers have a very distinct artificial flavor to me. Plum noir, pumking, warlock, creme brulee stout - all have the same fake flavor.

I think it fades over time - I'm keeping a 2013 and a 2014 to do a 3 year flight next year.

Back