2 year old broke my hydrometer - I think it's time to upgrade.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Special Hops

Reaction score
So my hydrometer was sitting in the dish drying rack after use and my daughter come up and starts playing with it and breaks it.

So I think it's time to upgrade to a refractometer. I have read the various "refractometer" issues and the concensus seems to point to operator error.

Now my questions. What to get?

What is the difference between the $30 e-bay specials and the $70+ dollar models available? Is it worth double the cost or will the $30 one do the job just fine.

Any recommendations on manufacturer, model and your experiences would be appreciated.

You really need to have a Hydro even if you go with a refractometer. I purchased of the the ebay special ones which seem to be the same as the LHBS ones I've seen.

btw - anything you leave within reach of a two year old is the same as you breaking it. glad that she did not get hurt by the glass!

I haven't used my hydrometer since I got my refractometer. You need to do some calculation when measuring fermenting wort, but with Beersmith or the excel spreadsheet from Morebeer, it's not an issue.

I got mine from ebay a couple years ago for $25 and it works fine. Make sure the one you get has temp. adjustment ( ATC ). Calibrate it with distilled water from time to time ( or before each batch like me ).

Some more expensive models out there have digital readouts and their own light source.

I would still keep a hydro around for doing FG measurements and the like, as I hear it does not work as well with alcohol in it. Great for OG and runnings for all grain batches though, helps with calculating conversion and efficiency.

I have a refractometer, got it off ebay from a seller in China, and it works just fine.

I got the $25 Chinese one off of Ebay and I've never looked back. You just need a couple of drops to do the measurements.

Thanks guys for the responses.

You really need to have a Hydro even if you go with a refractometer. I purchased of the the ebay special ones which seem to be the same as the LHBS ones I've seen.

btw - anything you leave within reach of a two year old is the same as you breaking it. glad that she did not get hurt by the glass!

Yeah I should have known better. She can;t reach the drying rack but she was climbing on something else and got up there.

I got the $25 Chinese one off of Ebay and I've never looked back. You just need a couple of drops to do the measurements.

Great - sounds like the cheapo's work just fine.

I use Brewpal on the IPod touch and that has a built in alcohol correction factor. Hopefully it's close enough to get me a decent final gravity reading. I just need to know when the beer is done. Don;t car too much about the actual number.

Back