2+ Weeks in the Bottle - No Sediment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phlee

Reaction score
Hi all,

My first brew has been in the bottle for 2 weeks and 4 days. I've cracked a few open over this time period to see how the taste has been developing and I have a couple of questions.

As expected the flavor is getting less green and developing some carbonation, however I haven't seen any sediment in the bottle after the pour. I let them chill in the fridge before I get it in the glass and I have been carefully pouring all except the last couple centimeters. Like I said, there is some carbonation, but is not anywhere near fully carbed and I think it will be a little under in the end.

One caveat to this is that I did secondary for 2 weeks and cold crashed for 24hrs a couple days before bottling. There was quite a bit of sediment in the bottom of the secondary and I think this was do to a pretty harsh cold crash. I believe it got near the freezing mark if not a few degrees below it, but my beer did not freeze or even come close.

When I started brewing I didn't think I would be complaining about the lack of sediment in my bottle, however now I'm worried like a expectant parent, haha! Is this a concern, or will it carb up just fine over the next few weeks?

It is the Brewer's Best American Amber Ale seen here:
http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/1007%202013%20American%20Amber%20Recipe.pdf

I appreciate all insight! Thanks.

They should still be fine after cold crashing. There might not have been as much yeast in the bottle as there would have been if you hadn't crashed, but there should still be plenty. Just give it another week and see. The fact that there is some carbing rather than none is a good sign.

What temp are you conditioning at? Around 70 degrees would be ideal. Colder than that and your carbonation might take a bit longer.

Thought I missed something in my original post. Ambient is between 70-72 in my master bedroom closet.

Should still be fine. 2 weeks is about the soonest I'll sample a beer to test for carbonation. 3 weeks is ideal. I wouldn't start panicking until at least the 4 week point.

You could also try putting them in the fridge for a few days to chill prior to opening. That allows more time for the beer to absorb the CO2. It also allows more time for the sediment that you crave to settle out. Just kidding. But seriously, a couple days in the fridge rather than just a few hours helps.

if you don't have a lot of trash in the bottom of the bottle; you are screwed.
Ignore that. You have an excellent racking technique to eliminate the transfer of the trub.

Agreed. I'm a huge fan of cold crashing. I didn't mean to suggest that it somehow has negative effects on carbing or conditioning.

Ok great and thanks for the encouragement.

Out of curiousity I went ahead and dumped the whole bottle in a glass, let it settle out, and drank slowely off the top. Sure enough there were a number of yeasties on the bottom, but nothing compared to the sediment I've seen in some of my buddy's brews. I don't think they cold crash though, which probably explains it.

Thanks again!

I leave the beer in primary 3-7 days after FG to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty before bottling. 3-4 weeks at 70F or a bit more to carb & caondition. Then 1-2 weks fridge time to settle anything out,including chill haze (if any) & get thicker head & longer lasting,fine bubbled carbonation.

Latest posts

Back