2 tap keg system - manage PSI

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 574

Dirty blonde
Reaction score
I purchased keg equipment so that I can have two concurrent taps going. I've only had one keg tapped thus far but I assume you are stuck having the same psi to both kegs or can you adjust that a bit via:

large_70030.gif

Thinking about when you have a stout and a Hefe tapped for example where psi / volume of CO2 is dramatically different per style. Go somewhere in the middle?

Your best bet if you need different pressures is to run a split off the co2 canister and then after the split, have one regulator on each line. This would allow for consistant, controlled pressure.

Yea, optimum but not for the wallet at this time. I thought perhaps you could take the keg that has a higher psi and with it's on/off valve wide open adjust the tank to it's preferred psi then turn that keg valve off then open the lower keg valve slowly until you get to it's desired psi. Then re-open the other keg valve wide open again. EDIT - I have no idea if this'd work; maybe the other way around ... :eek:

But, that's living in that theory world like your signature ;) if that works w/o the added gauge to validate. Or adjust to taste on the lower psi tank... Maybe I'm overthinking it? I got that porter on tap now and the wheat in about 2 weeks so I just started wondering about this.

I have a 4 tap system. The soda water runs at 30 psi, so all I do is keep the valves to the ales shut until they flow-slow. Then I open the door and give them a shot. I receintly moved the manifold to the door, so the CO2 valves are directly in line with the taps. Much less confusion.

desertBrew said:
I thought perhaps you could take the keg that has a higher psi and with it's on/off valve wide open adjust the tank to it's preferred psi then turn that keg valve off then open the lower keg valve slowly until you get to it's desired psi. Then re-open the other keg valve wide open again.

I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to describe, but you cannot partially open a shut off valve and expect the static pressure to be lower on one side than the other. It's true that you will get some pressure drop across the valve if flowing, but the pressures will stabilize upstream and down stream of the shut off. You need two regulators to have two different keg pressures.

OR, and maybe this is what you were saying, you could pressurize each keg as needed but keep them isolated opening only one valve at at a time and adjusting regulator each time. That could work if you don't want to draw from each keg at the same time.

Otherwise I agree with kornkob - 2 regulators is the way to go.

Brewtus said:
I'm not sure exactly what you're trying to describe, but you cannot partially open a shut off valve and expect the static pressure to be lower on one side than the other. It's true that you will get some pressure drop across the valve if flowing, but the pressures will stabilize upstream and down stream of the shut off. You need two regulators to have two different keg pressures.

OR, and maybe this is what you were saying, you could pressurize each keg as needed but keep them isolated opening only one valve at at a time and adjusting regulator each time. That could work if you don't want to draw from each keg at the same time.

Otherwise I agree with kornkob - 2 regulators is the way to go.

Yea, your 1st response was what I was thinking. David's response seems to be working for him so I'll give that a whirl before contemplating more regs (for now).

Can't you buy a dual pressure regulators, with three gauges on it? One for tank pressure, then one for each line... I'm sure I heard about these somewhere, might have even seen them for sale on ebay... someone confirm?

They probably have 3 gauge, but I'd bet it'd be more pricey than to just purchase the extra single...

I have a feeling tweaking will be fine. Give the respective batches their preferred CO2 shot for a period; then go down to a dispensing psi that is sufficient for both. Surprise I didn't get more responses on this thread...

You need one of these:
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/images/regulatordualbody.jpg

Cheapest decent looking setup I've seen is on eBay for around $65 plus shipping for the whole kit-n-kaboodle.

If you already have the two-gauge portion shown on the left of the image, you'd only need one more regulator and a low-side gauge attached via another coupler. I suppose you could buy the pieces at your local welding shop. That, or check the online Homebrew stores for one that sells the individual pieces. The end result is a two-pressure system; each regulator operates at a different pressure set by you. This allows you to force-carbonate one keg while pressurizing another. Or you can have one keg with an ale and another with a stout -- both kegs set at the correct pressure for that style of beer.

I'm still buyin' parts for my kegerator, but I do LOTS of research :rolleyes:

DrewsBrews said:
You need one of these:
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/images/regulatordualbody.jpg

Cheapest decent looking setup I've seen is on eBay for around $65 plus shipping for the whole kit-n-kaboodle.

If you already have the two-gauge portion shown on the left of the image, you'd only need one more regulator and a low-side gauge attached via another coupler. I suppose you could buy the pieces at your local welding shop. That, or check the online Homebrew stores for one that sells the individual pieces. The end result is a two-pressure system; each regulator operates at a different pressure set by you. This allows you to force-carbonate one keg while pressurizing another. Or you can have one keg with an ale and another with a stout -- both kegs set at the correct pressure for that style of beer.

I'm still buyin' parts for my kegerator, but I do LOTS of research :rolleyes:

Yea, that would do it now and I have the unit on the left. I'll R&D and add that to the Xmas list for the wife. In the meantime I'll tweak with what I got today.

cant tell by the wording, so this may have already been said... but when i go through this i just charge the keg thats supposed to have the lower PSI setting and then turn the CO2 off to that keg until it doesnt pour properly, that way i can have the reg set for the higher PSI beer and just give teh other one a shot when it really needs it
solves the problem without extra gear (though id really like a second reg to do it 'right')

Thanks kneemoe. Yea, I think someone else said that as well and once I get two brews online; I'm going to head in that direction.

Back