2 step batch sparge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldy246

Reaction score
New to AG brewing and also beer smith. It is saying I am to do a 2 step batch sparge. Step 1 is one gallon and step 2 is 3.17.

Does that mean add 1 gallon, drain and then add 3.17 and drain again? Why could I just add the total volume and drain once?

Thanks.

I will usually do one batch sparge step if I can recover all the water I need with just one, or use two if its a larger grain bill and one sparge does not get me to my pre-boil volume. You could add a gallon of hot/boiling water to get up to mashout temps (170F), then vorlauf and drain. Follow that up with one batch sparge step. I do that if I have space in my mash tun after the 60-minute mash.

In general, you may get some slight bump in efficiency with two step batch sparging, but probably not worth the extra effort if you can runoff all the volume you need in one step.

Back