2 sacks of Munich - recipe ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike_57401

Reaction score
Hello.

I bought two sacks of Weyermann Munich I at a good price at my LHBS. Any thoughts on recipes to use this? (I normally have 5-10 # on hand, not 110#).

Initial thought is maybe a Maerzen, Dunkel or Bock, or perhaps an Alt.

Lucky dawg, 110# of premium German malt is one hell of a nice problem to have!

I'd be tempted to go on a journey of mastering Oktoberfest style lagers, maybe start with Biermuncher's OktoberFast ale if you (like me) have no experience with lager strains and cold fermenting, or if you don't have lagering capabilities. Of course, if its cold this time of year in your part of the world, winter is a great time to lager naturally if you have a garage or a cold room.

edit: just out of curiosity, what did you pay for the two sacks?

Good idea on the bock/doppel. I've yet to brew those.

I paid $30 per sack, since it's due to expire on 12/24/17.

I have made a number of lagers over the past 15 years or so, but mostly light/standard/premium/CAP style. I'm strongly tempted to start with an Oktoberfest, that's a good idea. It is truly lager season here, although not as cold as in years past-still cold enough though.

Weyermann Munich ( I presume it's the light Munich variety ) can be used to a lot of recipes. I like it in IPAs and works well in adequate qty to belgian ales, IIPAs, porters, stouts, Black IPAs ( really shines in higher qty ), etc.

You could also do smash recipes using only Munich ( possibly a lowe diastatic power, but should work OK ).

Munich malt in nice in most styles, a little is also nice in IPAs and any othr IPA varieties.

I suggest to do a German Alt. I do one every year that's 85% Weyermann Munich I. Like others have said, Munich is great in many styles.

Lots of good ideas! I think I'll be busy in January. I do also have a fair amount of old mt hood pellets which should be used, plus maybe I should order a lb of liberty, mettelfruh, etc

This altbier recipe is from Horst Dornbusch's altbier book, I think it is the best recipe in the book. This is from the brewmaster at Brauerei Schumacher at the time the book was published in 1998. You will have to adjust the grain amount & hops to match for your system.
For 5 Gal.
9.25 lbs Munich 6.5L
Hops
Hallertau Mittelfruh - 60 min
Hallertau Mittelfruh - Flameout
Yeast - Wyeast 1007
IBU - 40
SRM - 11-12
O.G. 1.047
F.G. 1.010

Back