2 rhizomes in 20gal pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jphebbie2

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So I just got a 20 gallon pot, the biggest plant pot the hardware store had. I put one chinook rhizome in it today, but I was thinking it might be big enough for 2. The pot held a bag and a half of fox farm ocean forest soil. Any input on this? If it will support 2 I'd definately throw in another cause my LHBS has a bunch of good varieties right now.
Thanks,
-JP

I think year one you'll be fine. Year two it'll be tight. Year three plus, you'll need a bigger bucket.

I have a four year old busting out of a 50 gallon storage bin. I need to find her a home and plant her. Or cut her in half. :)

OK cool, What will the total yield be like of 1 plant versus 2 in the container? Its probably better to just get 1 big one going than 2 constricted plants right??

Hard to predict yields. Original rhizome strength sun water soil. I think the reason people put two in one hill is to hedge their bets- better insure success. All my orginal plants had two per hill and produced one to three dry ounces of hops. Two friends that started the same year I did grew less than me. I know several guys who grew one wet ounce first year- nothing. Consider year one your learning year year two you'll know what your doing and start to produce. My second year chinook gave me 22 ounces dry.

Back