2 quick questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCollector

Reaction score
Hello,
Making a blueberry lemon melomel. First mead ever. I added 3 lbs honey, energizer, nutrients, and 1 lbs of frozen blueberries to the primary. That sat for exactly 2 weeks in primary. I had the blueberries in a pantyhose sock in primary. After I transferred to the secondary I noticed a lot of sediment (leese?) The same day. I think a lot of the blueberry sludge escaped the hose. Should I transfer again off this or let it ride a bit?
Second question.
I'm ready to add my lemon to secondary. Any suggestions? I was going to zest into another pantyhose or mesh bag and add just a few slices of the meat without pith. And maybe squeeze a bit of fresh juice in? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

IMO - a) let it ride. You are going to get more lees (sediment) as the weeks go by. Rack after a month or so or when the lees are about 1/2 inch of higher.
b) how much lemon are you planning to use? Is this for flavor? How much juice will provide the flavor you are looking for. Zest adds one flavor component and juice adds a different component. What are aiming for? When you know your target you know what you want to do... If you do not know what you are aiming for then no target is important... (for the record, of you are looking for rich lemon flavor I would add enough juice to provide about 20 fl oz /gallon of lemon juice... )

Agree with bernardsmith. Additionally, If you are using lemon to bring out the blueberry flavor it might be good to add a bit (couple oz juice then taste) so it isn't too much.

Thanks for the replies folks! I am aiming for the lemon to bring out the blueberry flavor and accent it. I want to be able to taste it for sure but it should not be the star. I have 2 lemons at my disposal for this 1 gallon batch.

Back