2 phases in secondary, then same thing in bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goingforsound

Reaction score
Hi,

I transfered a Belgian Wit to secondary last week. Took the gravity, fermentation was already done (14 days and 1.013)

When I did the beer my LHBS didnt have the right yeast (WLP 400) so I took the WLP 550. This yeast is supposed to floculate more than the 400.

I forgot to take a picture, but on top of the carboy there was a layer (1.5 inch) of crystal clear beer, sitting on top of the traditionnal hazy looking wit beer.

It was not an oily layer, because it easily get disturbed and mixed with the remaining beer.

I racked on top of the corn sugar and made sure everything way touroughly mixed and then bottled.

But now it seems to do the same thing in the bottle but its not possible to get a clear picture of it.... Anyone had the same experience?

PICT0200.jpg

PICT0201.jpg

PICT0202.jpg

PICT0203.jpg

hard to give you a for sure answer, the neck of a bottle is smaller than the base so your clairity issue could be as simple as the fact that it is easier to see through a more narrow section of a bottle than the base which is thicker.

Maybe someone with a bit more knowledge than me could shed some light on the subject of pectin and/or chill haze and if that could be cause, just a thought on that stuff though, I could be way out in left feild

From what I can see, there is just the one line where the neck turns into the body of the bottle. As you turn the bottle, that line is still there, at the same angle. That is really the only thing I can see from the pictures. You could try pouring a glass and letting it sit and see how it settles out. If it has done it twice, it most likely would do it a 3rd time.

I had something similar, and my only guess was that the suspended solids were heavy enough to stay buoyant below a certain point in the beer (in your case 1.5" down). One way to determine if it's just insoluble sediment (which is common in Wit) is by twirling or shaking the beer a little and seeing if it clouds up the neck. From your first post you mentioned that it did get disturbed so that could be the case.

Remember that it could be a number of things, I'm just proposing one case.

Some of my beers did that. I just thought it was particles that haven't yet settled to the bottom of the bottle. After waiting a couple weeks, about half the bottle would be clear and the other half would be cloudy. A couple more weeks and the whole thing was clear.

I had something similar, and my only guess was that the suspended solids were heavy enough to stay buoyant below a certain point in the beer (in your case 1.5" down). One way to determine if it's just insoluble sediment (which is common in Wit) is by twirling or shaking the beer a little and seeing if it clouds up the neck. From your first post you mentioned that it did get disturbed so that could be the case.

Remember that it could be a number of things, I'm just proposing one case.

Thanks for the anwser guys. What a failled Wit if it ends up clear:drunk: :D

Back