2 out of 3 didn't carbonate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave06

Reaction score
I've brewed my first three batches and can't figure out why my 1st and 3rd didn't carbonate. I've read all the forums about sanitation and carbonation and can't figure it out. All three were extract with specialty grains. My procedures and techniques were mostly similar between all three. On my 1st, on bottling day I put the beer on top of the sugar solution and had 50 bottles that were flat and two that pretty much exploded when I opened them. So for batch two I gave the bottling bucket a gentle swirl and I came out good. My third batch was the same recipe as the first, but with different yeast and pumpkin spices added. I swirled the bottling bucket as with the 2nd batch, but carbonation is weak. I get a small sound when I open the bottles, but no bubbles or head. I've only opened about 20 of them so I'm not sure if I have a few over-carbonated like my 1st batch.

Could it be the recipe? Do some grains yield a beer that holds co2 better? My 2nd batch had carapils in it. The yeast fermented fast in all three batches (air lock activity within hours subsiding within three days). I've hit my FG in each case and leave it in the primary for three weeks to clean up before bottling. Is it possible the yeast is dying, is that too long in fermentation when it ferments fast? I'll post the recipes when I get the chance later.

I've brewed my first three batches and can't figure out why my 1st and 3rd didn't carbonate. I've read all the forums about sanitation and carbonation and can't figure it out. All three were extract with specialty grains. My procedures and techniques were mostly similar between all three. On my 1st, on bottling day I put the beer on top of the sugar solution and had 50 bottles that were flat and two that pretty much exploded when I opened them. So for batch two I gave the bottling bucket a gentle swirl and I came out good. My third batch was the same recipe as the first, but with different yeast and pumpkin spices added. I swirled the bottling bucket as with the 2nd batch, but carbonation is weak. I get a small sound when I open the bottles, but no bubbles or head. I've only opened about 20 of them so I'm not sure if I have a few over-carbonated like my 1st batch.

Could it be the recipe? Do some grains yield a beer that holds co2 better? My 2nd batch had carapils in it. The yeast fermented fast in all three batches (air lock activity within hours subsiding within three days). I've hit my FG in each case and leave it in the primary for three weeks to clean up before bottling. Is it possible the yeast is dying, is that too long in fermentation when it ferments fast? I'll post the recipes when I get the chance later.

You have to get the priming sugar solution completely blended with the beer.
The only way to do that is to stir the mixture top to bottom and around and around. Mix that sucker up!

Ok, if that's not it then what are the temps where you are storing the bottles?
The yeast you are using has a specific environment where it thrives. If you deviate, it could affect the viability.

Thirdly, how much priming sugar are you using and did you use enough?

I see you used the same yeast on the two batches that did not fully carbonate. Could that be the culprit?

Tell us exactly what the ingredients for all 3 batches were.

You can try opening the other bottles and drop in a priming tablet and recapping also.

I'm sure someone else has some more reasons but these will help you get started finding out what went wrong.

How long and at what temperature are you letting them condition?

Answers to the above questions will definitely help to diagnose what the problem may be.

For your first batch, it sounds as if the priming sugar was not adequately dissolved, and the 2 overcarbed bottles received more of the priming solution and the others not enough. (that is if all variables are the same..i.e..did you use the same type bottles? washed and sanitized the same way? etc?)

What was your OG for each batch?

The bottles were the same along with sanitizing techniques and compounds(starsan). 1st and 3rd batches were in colder months where we heat our house to 68 deg F and the 2nd, carbonated batch, was in the summer when we keep our house at 76 deg F. I would expect the two batches to take longer, but still carbonate.

My thoughts are the first batch wasn't stirred in the bottling bucket and thus I got inconsistent carbonation. Thinking that was the problem, I know I stirred the hell out of the 2nd batch without it being turbulent to avoid oxygen. I know I eased up on the 3rd because the 2nd came out fine and I honestly can't remember how long or vigorously I stirred it.

I'll post recipes when I get the chance. I'll probably open the remaining bottles and add carb tabs. It will also give me the chance to see if I have a few over-carbed. I put my bottles in the box in the order I filled them so I know which are the first filled and which are the last.

Forgot to say all batches were conditioned for at least three weeks. I still have a few from my first which are about 11 months old now and still not carbonated.

Due to the cooler temps for batch 1 & 3, another week or two would have improved the amount of carbonation IMO.

I had a similar situation, where I had to go close to 4 weeks to fully carbonate, as the ambient temp had fallen into the 60s.

How much priming sugar did you use? Also, how much head space do you have in each bottle? I don't think that will change the carbination too much but it might make it take longer

I've read and it has worked for me on all my batches to add priming sugar just as you add your beer to the bottling bucket. Let the siphon hose from the fermenter or secondary sit at the bottom of the bottling bucket and this will create a swirling motion In the beer which for me mixes the priming sugar perfectly

Back