2 gallon bucket mash method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jordanelwell

Reaction score
I brew in two-gallon batches, which affords me more convenience in some ways and less in others. I think I've found a versatile small-batch mash method that simplifies my process, uses only equipment that is either free or already in the kitchen, and consistently gives me an efficiency of 70+ percent. I was hoping to get some input on any disadvantages I might not be aware of, or ways I might improve it.

So here are my steps in pictures:

1) Mash grain in brew kettle, insulating with towels. Strike at 164F with a target final temperature of 152F. Usually this is just right for 60 minute mashes.

UpGDf.jpg

YqsJ9.jpg

2) Pour entire contents of mash-kettle into colander bucket - just a two-gallon food grade bucket with holes drilled in the bottom. Allow wort to drain into external bucket (usually takes only a few minutes).

X4IOK.jpg

A2wVg.jpg

3) Line top of colander bucket with perforated foil. Slowly pour 155F water through grain. I usually sparge 1.25 gallons like this per two-gallon batch, which puts me at a pre-boil volume of ~2.6 gallons.

QgRGp.jpg

4) Transfer wort to back to kettle and boil as usual.

g0gCu.jpg

It's the same principle as the BIAB method. My LHBS didn't have giant brew bags the day I started doing this, so I improvised and I've now done 7 or 8 batches like this. Your thoughts?

You might want to try the sparge with your hole drilled bucket in another non-drilled one then do a regular infusion of all sparge water, stir then raise the drilled bucket. Probably get better eff and must be easier than the aluminum foil approach. Looks good-I would appreciate the start to finish time vs. my 10 gal batches!

You might want to try the sparge with your hole drilled bucket in another non-drilled one then do a regular infusion of all sparge water, stir then raise the drilled bucket. Probably get better eff and must be easier than the aluminum foil approach. Looks good-I would appreciate the start to finish time vs. my 10 gal batches!

Good thinking. In fact, I could probably set the drilled bucket in the bottom of my bigger bucket and do the infusion, then lift it above the bigger bucket when ready to drain.

Depending on how RDWHAHBing I'm doing, I can usually get this done in 4 1/2 hours including cleanup.

Back