2 beers from 1 mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madavis25

Reaction score
I was hoping for some help with ideas for getting 2 beers from 1 mash.

I brew with a 10gal system and was hoping to get 2 beers from 1 mash. Initial thoughts were 1 amber and 1 Belgian style, adding Belgian candy sugar after taking 5gal off for the amber and using different yeasts. Another thought was some type of pale ale with dry hops and possibly a lager.

I am thinking of using different yeasts, and I am willing to continue with a boil and add more hops or other modifications for the 2nd beer after taking off the 1st 5 gal.

Any ideas and recipes?

Search the term Partigyle. That's what it's called.

Actually, that's not what is being asked. madavis25 wants to do one 10 gallon boil, I believe, that then makes two different beer styles with 5 gallons of each.

My suspicion is that to do this you'll get one "brewed to style" beer and one adjusted recipe.

It is an interesting question about similarities in grainbills and early hop additions (could vary late additions by removing 5 gallons). I think amber colored beers are a good place to look. In that category (and all around the same OG) are American Amber Ale, ESB, either kind of Alt beer, Octoberfests/Vienna, and Belgian Pale Ales. Many of these could be made to use similar bittering additions (go with a neutral hop like Magnum), then separate them off to add flavoring & aroma additions (though the one pulled off will have by necessity less flavor additions -- aroma could be added while cooling). Actually, since the second beer will boil longer to get more hops in, the flavor addition for the first beer can become a bittering addition for the second (since it's boiled for, say, 30 minutes -- 15 minutes with full 10 gallons and 15 more minutes with other hops being added).

It would also be interesting to do this with a Schwarzbier and a Black IPA.

When I'm home with BeerSmith, I'll have to try playing around with a combination for this.

If you can make the same grain bill work for 2 beers then your set, adding sugar to one will make it standout as different but probably pretty hard to vary from the grain bill limitations like you couldn't do a porter and a kolsch out of the same mash :)

If you can make the same grain bill work for 2 beers then your set, adding sugar to one will make it standout as different but probably pretty hard to vary from the grain bill limitations like you couldn't do a porter and a kolsch out of the same mash :)

No, but you could possibly do a kolsch, a German pilsener, and/or a Belgian Strong Golden Ale out of one boil.

You could do a kolsch & pilsener with about 20 lbs of pilsener malt. Take the kolsch off first, then boil the pilsener for an extra 15 minutes with some extra finishing hops. Or a strong kolsch or pilsener with a BSG -- 25 lbs of pilsener malt with 2-3 pounds of sugar added at the end the the Belgian.

I've started doing this, as I have the capability of brewing 15 gallon batches, but I don't want 15 gallons of 1 beer.

You can use dilution, and cold steeping of grains to change beers around drastically.

Here's my most recent one. I called this brew a Tri-P-A because with 1 mash and 1 boil, I was able to produce 3 very different IPAs.

92% 2-row
8% Crystal

Simcoe 2.5 oz Pellet 11.0 Boil 60
Simcoe1.5 oz Pellet 11.0 Boil 45
Cascade 1.5 oz Pellet 5.9 Boil 30
Cascade 1.5 oz Pellet 5.9 Boil 15
Simcoe1.5 oz Pellet 11.0 Boil 10
Amarillo 1.5 oz Pellet 7.0 Boil 5

Collect 14.5 gallons post-boil with an OG of 1.070.

For the Belgian Tripple IPA:

Take 5 gallons of that wort.
Add 1 lbs dissolved cane sugar
Pitch Wyeast 1388
The OG should be about 1082. I don't know what the IBU's will be.
No dry hopping.

For the Dark IPA
Take 4.5 gallons of the wort.
Add the cold steeped grains (7 oz carafa 1, 7 oz carafa 3, steeped with 0.5 gallons of cold water for 24 hours, strained and sparged with a bit of 170F water)
Ptich S-04 or Nottingham
The OG should be about 1065 with 63 IBU.
Dryhop with Cascade.

For the American IPA
Dilute with 0.5 gallons of water
Pitch US-05
Dry hop with Amarillo.

It is an interesting question about similarities in grainbills and early hop additions (could vary late additions by removing 5 gallons). I think amber colored beers are a good place to look. In that category (and all around the same OG) are American Amber Ale, ESB, either kind of Alt beer, Octoberfests/Vienna, and Belgian Pale Ales. Many of these could be made to use similar bittering additions (go with a neutral hop like Magnum), then separate them off to add flavoring & aroma additions (though the one pulled off will have by necessity less flavor additions -- aroma could be added while cooling). Actually, since the second beer will boil longer to get more hops in, the flavor addition for the first beer can become a bittering addition for the second (since it's boiled for, say, 30 minutes -- 15 minutes with full 10 gallons and 15 more minutes with other hops being added).

It would also be interesting to do this with a Schwarzbier and a Black IPA.

When I'm home with BeerSmith, I'll have to try playing around with a combination for this.

Exactly. Great ideas, thank you.

I was hoping to do one of them a Belgian style. A Belgian Dubbel and an alt? A Belgian Pale and American Pale? I'd like to hear what you come up with when you get to your BeerSmith.

I've started doing this, as I have the capability of brewing 15 gallon batches, but I don't want 15 gallons of 1 beer.

You can use dilution, and cold steeping of grains to change beers around drastically.

Here's my most recent one. I called this brew a Tri-P-A because with 1 mash and 1 boil, I was able to produce 3 very different IPAs.

92% 2-row
8% Crystal

Simcoe 2.5 oz Pellet 11.0 Boil 60
Simcoe1.5 oz Pellet 11.0 Boil 45
Cascade 1.5 oz Pellet 5.9 Boil 30
Cascade 1.5 oz Pellet 5.9 Boil 15
Simcoe1.5 oz Pellet 11.0 Boil 10
Amarillo 1.5 oz Pellet 7.0 Boil 5

Collect 14.5 gallons post-boil with an OG of 1.070.

For the Belgian Tripple IPA:

Take 5 gallons of that wort.
Add 1 lbs dissolved cane sugar
Pitch Wyeast 1388
The OG should be about 1082. I don't know what the IBU's will be.
No dry hopping.

For the Dark IPA
Add the cold steeped grains (7 oz carafa 1, 7 oz carafa 3, steeped with 0.5 gallons of cold water for 24 hours, strained and sparged with a bit of 170F water)
Ptich S-04 or Nottingham
Dryhop with Cascade.

For the American IPA
Dilute with 0.5 gallons of water
Pitch US-05
Dry hop with Amarillo.

This gets at the complexity of trying to do this. You've got here a great IPA grainbill & hop schedule. The others are probably also really good but are a bit more unusual for their style. Your tripel looks a lot like one of the Belgian IPAs we're starting to see a lot of these days. I bet it's really tasty, but it's unusual for a tripel in both the grain bill & the hop schedule. Bet it tastes great though, and that's what really matters.

I've never done a 24 hour cold steeping of grain. Does it come out OK? It doesn't sour up any, does it?

Great idea. How do you find the high hop rate blended with the Belgian estery flavors on the Belgian Trippel IPA

So, this is what I came up with.

As the base recipe, I started w/ Randy Moscher's Belgian Dubbel, adjusted for efficiency and availability:

13lb pale malt
6 lb Munich light malt
2 lb Crystal 60
1 lb aromatic malt

2oz Northern Brewer hops (7.8%AA) for full boil

After the boil, I split the batch in half. In the first half, I added 1lb homemade amber belgian candy sugar and boiled until it disolved, then cooled and pitched Belgian Trappist Yeast from White labs for a Belgian Dubbel

In the other half, I added 1oz Centennial hops for 10min boil, then at flame out I added another 1oz Centennial and cooled. I pitched the Chico yeast from White labs in that one for an American Amber.

They are both excellent.

Back