2 All Grain Brews in 1 Day Sequencing Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stillshinen

Reaction score
Hello!

I am brewing a Hop Ottin and Little Sumptin Sumptin clone 5 gallon each this coming Monday. One has a 90 minute boil and the other is 60. My set up is a 60 quart cooler that I will put a BIAB bag (to make it faster), electric 15 gallon kettle with a Hose Head controler (Love this thing!). I have means to heat up a few gallons of sparge water and have plenty of pumps to fly sparge as needed.

First question: Should i brew the 90 minute brew first or second? If so why?
Second question: Anyone have a schedule or sequence they have used in the past. I am kind of looking for some best practice type information.

Thanks in advance!

For you if you haven't done it before i would do the 90 min first. If you haven't had practice with doing 2 brews at once you may as well give you more time to get the 2nd mash going. The best way to do the order (depending on your setup) would be:

head up HLT
dough in first beer
keep your HLT up to temp
(take a break)
sparge your first beer into the boil kettle
start the boil for the first beer while you are cleaning our the MT for the 2nd batch
dough in the 2nd beer (since your HLT is already hot it shouldn't talk too long)
(take another break)
cool/transfer the first beer into your fermenter
rinse out your boil kettle
spare your 2nd beer into the boil kettle
etc.

that's just general, but if you have any more specific questions depending on your setup let me know, i regularly do 2 or 3 batches in a row since it takes me a while to get my equipment setup, i may as well make the most of it

If you do the 90 minute boil one first just make sure it has boiled for at least half an hour before you start the mash on the second one. Otherwise you are forced into a 90 minute mash on the second one because the boil kettle is still full.

^That's a cool idea. Never thought of that. sounds productive krenshaw.

If you do the 90 minute boil one first just make sure it has boiled for at least half an hour before you start the mash on the second one. Otherwise you are forced into a 90 minute mash on the second one because the boil kettle is still full.

Great idea on starting the second 30 min into the boil.

I've done double and triple brew days and the best way to go about it is to write out a schedule. You should know your system well, how long to heat HLT water, how long to transfer between vessels, chilling time is very important to plan as we are all very different in that aspect. It may take a few tries to get a plan that works and is compact as well to make best use of your time.

Latest posts

Back