2.5 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if I make a smaller batch do I really need to put it into a smaller set of carboys (either plastic or glass?)

You don't need too, when it's fermenting it will blow out the extra air with CO2. If you're going to secondary/bright tank/store it then you will need something with less headspace.

You don't need too, when it's fermenting it will blow out the extra air with CO2. If you're going to secondary/bright tank/store it then you will need something with less headspace.

what if I when I go to my secondary, once it's full I blast co2 to clear the space? This head space thing confuses me, even when I top up to 23 liters on the glass carboy it will have roughly the same amount of surface area on top of the beer ( if that makes sense)

As long as your carboy/airlock/stoper is air tight, shooting a blast of C02 will work. The blast of C02 will displace the air and create a blanket over the beer. As long as the airlock is working, there can be no air getting into the carboy and therefore the C02 will not diffuse and will remain to protect the beer.

by that logic wouldn't giving the beer a shake when it is done being racked into teh secondary do the same thing? I mean once the airlock shows bubbles it's pushed out the "bad air" right?

by that logic wouldn't giving the beer a shake when it is done being racked into teh secondary do the same thing? I mean once the airlock shows bubbles it's pushed out the "bad air" right?

unfortunately shaking doesnt magically create CO2. thats just displaced air, theres still plenty in there

I would think if you were to use CO2, you would do it before you transferred and not after it was already full. Same as you do if you're kegging. Purge the vessel of O2 using CO2 first and then rack the beer into the container.

I am very confused by this topic.
Do I need to worry about my stout 2.5 gal in my 5 gal primary.
I wasnt plannig on a secondary and never gave any thought to air.

I am very confused by this topic.
Do I need to worry about my stout 2.5 gal in my 5 gal primary.
I wasnt plannig on a secondary and never gave any thought to air.

nope, headspace is only an issue in secondary as it can lead to oxidation since there is no longer an active fermentation to create enough CO2 to purge air.

Back