2.5 gallon All-Grain Brewing??? Anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpnc9702

Reaction score
I have seen where there are people who make batches smaller than 5 gallon - I have been brewing extracts w/ specialty grains for about 2 yrs now. I was interested in possibly moving into all grain, for the 5 gallon equiv. I would need a 10 gallon cooler, however I do have a 5 gallon, theoretically I should be able to use the smaller cooler for all grain batches and just adjust the quantities for a 5 gallon recipe by a factor of 2, seems logical, but I want to make sure I am not missing anything here. Anyone out there make all grain 2.5 batches who can give a little guidance here?

Looks like you know what you're doing! To my knowledge you can use a 5 gallon cooler for 5 gallon batches as well as long as you aren't trying to do large OG beers. BIAB on a small scale is something you could look in to as well.

I started with a 5 gallon cooler; I did some pretty big 5 gallon batches in that thing (I'm thinking 1.080 OG) by mashing thick before finally moving up to a 10 gallon cooler.

You can also do partial mashes with a 5 gallon cooler and make pretty much anything you want.

You can easily do 2.5-gallon to 3-gallon all-grain batches with a 5-gallon cooler as a mash tun. In fact, for moderate-gravity beers, you can use a 3-gallon cooler.
In general, for every gallon of space you have in your mash tun, you can easily mash 2 lbs. of grain. (This depends on your mash thickness; you can squeeze in more if you mash in thickly.)
From each 2 lbs. of grain, you should be able to yield about 1.2 gallons of wort at SG 1.043. (This depends on your extract efficiency and, of course, how much wort you choose to collect from the grains.)
One nice thing about "half-sized" batches is you often don't have to make a yeast starter if you have fresh liquid yeast.

http://beerandwinejournal.com/3-gallon-all-grain/

Chris Colby
Editor
beerandwinejournal.com

I do AG batches at 2.5 G but just do them BIAB right in the brew kettle. For my money, doing a 2.5 G batch helps you to figure out how to tweak a recipe without having 50 bottles around to drink up. Go for it !!

I've switched to 3 gallon BIAB as well. Still using my 10 gallon pot. Works like a charm. I also still use my 10 gallon cooler for big 3 gallon grain bills

Sent from my XT907 using Home Brew mobile app

stellar insight, thanks everyone...that seemed to line up with my thinking, but yet since I sure as heck don't know everything, getting insight from others sheds light on it on..fortunately for me I seldom drink the real heavy stuff, I try to stay below 7% abv if I can (I feel less guilty and they dont catch up with me as fast if I have a few at a time). I typically drink amber ales, pale ales etc..anyone got some recipes of that variety that they have used with the 5 gallon that I can work with to cut my teeth for the first time?

I've done a number of 2-2.5g batches, just dividing the ingredients. I get recipes from books, like Brewing Classic Recipes, Clone Brews, or How to Brew. But also on this forum. Choose recipes from respected brewers with plenty of feedback. BeeCave Haus Pale and Centennial Blonde have been brewed hundreds or thousands of times and are loved by all. I've made and served both with great success.

I do 3-3.5g BIAB but usually beers I'm going to bottle (uncommon beers for me). Or if I'm testing my own recipe.

I can then ferment in a food grade 5g bucket without tying up my larger fermenters.

stellar insight, thanks everyone...that seemed to line up with my thinking, but yet since I sure as heck don't know everything, getting insight from others sheds light on it on..fortunately for me I seldom drink the real heavy stuff, I try to stay below 7% abv if I can (I feel less guilty and they dont catch up with me as fast if I have a few at a time). I typically drink amber ales, pale ales etc..anyone got some recipes of that variety that they have used with the 5 gallon that I can work with to cut my teeth for the first time?

A kolsch might be a good easy, tasty, low ABV recipe to start off with. It can be all Pilsner malt if you want to really keep it simple.

Back