2 - 2.5 opaque jug with spigot and drilled stopper.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FortMyersSteve

Reaction score
I need a 2 - 2.5 opaque jug with spigot and drilled stopper. This is actually for a science / aquarium project, but searching online I keep ending up in the brewing forums, so that appears to be the closest kind of equipment. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I don't need an airlock. I don't care if the container is glass or plastic. The drilled stopper is to allow one air line down into the jug and one opening for a small amount of air to flow out. The setup doesn't need to be completely sterile. Nobody is going to be drinking it. On the brewing equipment sites I see containers with spigots but they don't have stoppers (drilled or otherwise - I could drill myself). I see containers with stoppers but they don't have spigots. I saw a container with both a stopper and a spigot but it was clear glass. I can't use a clear material. Amber glass is ok. Plastic milk jug color is ok. Black is ok. Freaky purple is ok (though not preferred).

It is not crucial to me whether the shape is more like a jug or more like a flat box. I have some preference for the jug because of the smaller footprint. Cylinder shape is ok, or traditional jug with narrow opening at top is ok. Nothing will be going out the top anyway, it will be going through the spigot. If it's a cylinder shape though, it's got to have some way for me to secure a stopper or otherwise drill some clean holes.

Bubbles coming up out of the container are not an issue, because there won't be any actual fermentation going on.

If you have no ideas, just drink a cold one.

I would just paint the glass container you found, maybe with Plasti-Dip.

oh, good. now why didn't I think of that. maybe because I didn't know paint would take well on glass.

If you have a drill, buy a spigot and drilled stoppers from a homebrew stop and a 2gal plastic bucket with a lid from home depot or lowes and just drill the holes in the bucket yourself.

A spade drill works fine for drilling the holes.

edit: you can get spigots and stopper from amazon

OK, I got two of these:
Mr. Beer 20-21000-00 1 Gallon Heavy Duty Glass Fermenter with Spigot for Homebrewing Beer, Wine, Kombucha, Kefir or Cold Brew Coffee, 1.5 Gallons

And a package of #5.5 stoppers that someone said in the Amazon Q/A about this product said would fit the hole on top. The stoppers even already have two 5 mm holes in them.

Latest posts

Back