1st yr growing hops... help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halosld

Reaction score
I am currently living in Vicenza, Italy and I order and planted some rhizomes about 3 weeks ago. I have "flower/leaves" that are above ground and today I noticed that 1 "asparagus" looking bine has also surfaced, now my question to anyone is it's my understanding that the "bine" is wat you train up the twine and watnot, but will the "flower/leaves" will they turn into bines? or will they even produce hops? i have attached 3 pics to show wat i mean. ANY HELP PLEASE!!!

20140523_195003.jpg

20140523_195100.jpg

20140523_195026.jpg

The asparagus looking shoot is the hop bine. The other leaves sprouting don't look like hops to me but it is hard to tell in the picture.

Yes the hop bine does look like a tiny asparagus thing at first. It will grow leaves on it shortly after surfacing. Those other leaves do not look like hop leaves.

Yup, the red looking shoot is the bine. Mine are approximately five years old and the shoot at first is a darker red color, more like red cabbage. My first year of growing cascade with two rhizomes I ended up with twelve ounces of dried hops. Last year I was just under four pounds dried.

PS: I just did my first SMaSH beer with
15 lb Marris Otter
14 oz Cascade
Excellent beer!

PSII: your harvest should be a rolling harvest as not all the hops are ready to pick at one time.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back