1st yeast harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just brewed a batch of Brown Ale using WPL005. Looking to harvest it as well. I've watched a 1000 videos on harvesting.. always looking for more tips and suggestions.

I've read so many posts and watched countless video's on yeast washing and I didn't really want to go that route. So I read a sticky on HBT and decided to give it a try. After bottling I just swirled what was left and poured the yeast cake into a sterilized jar and put in the fridge.
I thought it looked pretty good so once I get my stir plate I'll make a starter and give it a go.

Nicely done. Looks great.

Dont be afraid to fill the jar up to the brim though. Loosely cap in the fridge for a day or two (off-gasses any CO2 kicked out of solution) and then cinch it down.

I've read so many posts and watched countless video's on yeast washing and I didn't really want to go that route. So I read a sticky on HBT and decided to give it a try. After bottling I just swirled what was left and poured the yeast cake into a sterilized jar and put in the fridge.
I thought it looked pretty good so once I get my stir plate I'll make a starter and give it a go.

That's how I've done most of my batches, and it works out great for me.

Sanitize jar, swirl whats left in the fermenter, dump in sanitized jar, cap it a little loose for off-gassing, put it in the fridge and wait until the next brew day, or use a starter.

Nicely done. Looks great.

Dont be afraid to fill the jar up to the brim though. Loosely cap in the fridge for a day or two (off-gasses any CO2 kicked out of solution) and then cinch it down.

I thought leaving a little room would be good. I do have another jar that is about 1/4 full. May swirl and add to top this one off.

I have been releasing the cap once a day but there has not been any co2 build up, at least none that I noticed.

I wouldn't do anything else. Leave it as is. Looks good. I just meant for future. Don't know if it matters at all. Less air is perhaps a good thing.

The CO2 build-up may not be an issue at all for you. I just do it to from a safety point of view and to make opening the jars easier. If there is pressure from CO2 it can cause a mess when you open and also be harder to open.

Minor details. Like I said. Things look great, I wouldn't do anything else

I wouldn't do anything else. Leave it as is. Looks good. I just meant for future. Don't know if it matters at all. Less air is perhaps a good thing.

The CO2 build-up may not be an issue at all for you. I just do it to from a safety point of view and to make opening the jars easier. If there is pressure from CO2 it can cause a mess when you open and also be harder to open.

Minor details. Like I said. Things look great, I wouldn't do anything else

10-4. Thanks.

Back