1st time whole hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feedthebear

Reaction score
I'm going to try brewing with whole hops for the first time next weekend. Is there anything that I need to be careful of when using them?

1. With whole hops, you need about 10% more (by weight) than with pellets.
2. You don't want the hops to clog everything up when racking to the primary. I never had a problem siphoning with an auto-siphon with the cap in place. Nowadays, I have a spigot and false bottom in the ketttle. If you have an arrangement like this, don't forget to put the false bottom in before adding the hops. If you do forget, it takes a long long time to fill the primary. :eek:

-a,

So when you used the auto-siphon with the cap on, were you letting the hops run free in the boil or did you have them in a bag?

I have to whole hop my lambic. But one of the reasons I'm considering switching to whole hops all the time is the knot in my hop bag untied in the boil for my ginger beer. The pellets excaped, turned to mush, and clogged my auto-siphon when I tried to transfer to the primary. I scooped as much of the hop mush out as I could before dumping it into the primary. But I know a bunch made it in there

You may never look back!

when you siphon place your cane part way down, til some of the pressure is gone - I hang it on the chiller - then in one fell move put it in the bottom of the kettle and DONT touch it again. If it clogs,carefully hold the cane so it doesnt move and qickli lift the tube to back flush the clog and go on racking. Youll be surprised how clean these filtered runnings will be.

Yes, let the hops "run free" Whole hops are too big to clog the siphon, and you get better extraction if the hops are not confined in a bag.

-a.

I use both based on availability but if I have a choice, I like whole hops. I also like to let them swim free for greater extraction. I usually pour through a strainer into my primary which filters out all the trub.

I use a bazooka filter and actually have fewer problems with whole hops than pellets. Pellets seem to be exactly the right size to clog the screen.

Cool. Thanks guys.

I think I'll try the autosiphon. But I'll pick up a a strainer just in case I have problems again.

And lefteye, if this goes any better than my $#!tty ginger ale, I won't be looking back. I'd rather pay a little more for fewer potential headaches. And if it improves the beer too, all the better.

Just finished the brew. And it was the easiest brew day that I have ever had. The siphon worked wonderfully. And I looked at the bottom of my brew kettle and there were all these beautiful hops staring back at me. Not a thick layer of slimy mud.

I am never going to use hop pellets again.

Latest posts

Back