1st time bottling - Too much headspace?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko73

Reaction score
All,

I bottled my first batch on Sunday and I was very happy with how smooth things went. Had an awesome time!!

Just as I was putting the bottles into the cases, I noticed that I may have left too much headspace in the bottle. I used 22oz bottles and the beer was onny up to where the neck started. . .probably ended up with 1 3/4 to 2 inch headspace in each bottle.

What if any negative results could this cause? I checked my Palmer book and couldn't locate what the negative effect might be. . .

Sorry for the noob question - it's why I put it into this forum rather than bottling/kegging.

Thanks for any info!

Shouldn't be to much of a problem. The issue comes when there is to much air volume for the co2 to build up pressure in. I have heard of half full bottles going boom for this reason, but I doubt the neck of a bottle would be enough.

Enjoy your first brew

they could be a little under carbed. but likely n ot enough to notice.

you need to get a bottling wand. this will displace the right amount of beer so you end up with proper headspace, regardless of the bottle size.

I didn't fill my bottles very well the first time- only about 9-10oz per 12oz bottle, and was similarly worried but beer turned out fine.

I was so happy to hear to carbonation when I opened my 1st bottle

Back