1st saison - hmm..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsratso

Reaction score
made a version of JZ's saison, added white peppercorn and lemon rind to it. i was pretty happy with how it turned out, at first. used the belgian saison yeast (White Labs WLP565). it finished low in about a month and wracked it to a keg with gelatin and cold crashing. as i said i liked it for a while. but as time went by, i liked it less and less. after about 2 months i wound up dumping the remainder, about half a keg. as i did, i found out why it got less and less appealing as time went by - i must have had about 3 inches of yeast on the bottom of the keg that had dropped out over time. if i had pulled and dumped 4-5 pints, it probably would have been nice. it wasn't solid yeast at the bottom of the keg, but definitely more than just "cloudy". how long do you saison brewers allow for it to fully flock out? does anyone else have this problem, this was a LOT of yeast still in suspension after one month and gelatin?

I've not used that yeast but the French Saison, which I use, really doesn't flocc well. I found racking to secondary helped when clearing as you can leave a load of the crap, then let it settle again before kegging or bottling. I had a very similar experience to you, with the bottom 6-7 litres of the FV being very murky and full of bits of yeast.

My last Saison was the Candisyrup.com Dupont Saison recipe. I brewed 6/30 and kegged 8/9. I used the WLP565 and after high krausen added a small starter of WY1137. The 565 often needs a helper yeast to finish the job. I could literally read a newspaper through the carboy on the day I kegged.

Latest posts

Back