1st recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wulax25

Reaction score
Any input on this very simple first creation would be great.

12 oz Wheat Malt
1 lb British crystal 50-60L
6 lb Light LME
1 lb Light DME
1 oz Mt. Hood bittering (45 min.)
1 oz. Cascade flavoring (10 min)

1.5 oz. vanilla extract at the end of the boil

White Labs American Ale Yeast Blend WL060

Was thinking of maybe adding some honey or Belgian Candi Syrup as well . . .

thoughts? :drunk:

Looks good to me, except the vanilla extract is throwing me off. what are you trying to do with it? From the looks of it, it looks like a good ale, i like the mix of wheat in there. 1.058 OG?

thought the vanilla might add a nice flavor to balance the grains, but I'll probably refrain from adding it. 1.058 OG is what I came up with too

What do you think about using a cup of the Belgian Candi Syrup or some honey?

Other brewers here have used vanilla with varying success/failure. Do a search and read up on their comments first.;)

Where are you "near Philly"? I was born and raised in Camden, but since my folks are from So. Philly you know I lived there too. Most of the family is around Cherry Hill/Haddonfield/Williamstown areas now...except me, I'm in IL.:D

I think what you ought to do is brew this batch without any of the flavorings. That way, you can get a feel for what it will taste like and then start doing batches experiementing what works and what doesn't. If you do all at once, you dont know what will make it good/bad.

Thats good advice Klainmeister. I will abstain from the honey and the vanilla until my next batch. I was still debating the belgian rock candi tho. I am told it doesnt really affect flavor, and if I add 8oz my OG will be a nice 1.063:drunk: . Also, with the Mt Hood bittering and Cascade flavoring, I'll have about 13 IBU. Should I add in another type of hop?

So many variables - I love it!!

Ended up using this recipe:

12 oz Wheat Malt
1 lb British crystal 50-60L
6 lb Light LME
2.25 lb Light DME
1 oz Mt. Hood (60 min.)
1 oz. Hellertau (45 min.)
1 oz. Cascade flavoring (10 min)

White Labs American Ale Yeast Blend WL060 (did a starter about 30 hours prior)

Smelled great when I pitched the yeast - hope it turns out ok!!

Back