1st Recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjatk

Reaction score
Hello,

I am working on my 1st Recipe, and am looking to make a Strong Hoppy Red Ale.

So Far, Here is what I have:

**Revised per below advice**

11# Rahr American 2 Row
6oz Weyerman Carared
6oz Breiss Caramel 80L
1# American red wheat

3.5ml HopShot (at 60 min) (JUST REALIZED I FORGOT THE DECIMAL)
2 oz cascade 5 min
2 oz chinook 5 min
1 oz Cascade at Flame out
1 oz cascade 7 day dry hop
1 oz chinook 7 day dry hop

Safale US-05 Dry yeast (Tends to do well in my fermentation conditions i have available, normally 67-68°)

Thoughts? Reccomendations?

All beer recipes make beer, and everyone has their own opinion. The more experienced brewers would chime in, (but I Think you have to much crystal, and not seeing the point of the corn sugar)

11 Lbs Pale 2 row
6 oz carared
12 oz Crystal 60L
1 lbs american red wheat
8 oz Special B

might be a better balanced malt base.

I would not use the hop shot in this, except maybe for bittering, if not using magnum or apollo, then use 3.5ml at 60 minutes for 35 IBU(estimated)

or
.5 oz Apollo at 60 min
2 oz cascade 5 min
2 oz chinook 5 min

Yeast, Wyeast 1272 American Ale II at 60-65 degrees

OG 1.068 FG 1.018 for 6.63% abv estimated
IBU 62 SRM 13.22

All beer recipes make beer, and everyone has their own opinion. The more experienced brewers would chime in, (but I Think you have to much crystal, and not seeing the point of the corn sugar)

11 Lbs Pale 2 row
6 oz carared
12 oz Crystal 60L
1 lbs american red wheat
8 oz Special B

might be a better balanced malt base.

I would not use the hop shot in this, except maybe for bittering, if not using magnum or apollo, then use 35ml at 60 minutes for 35 IBU(estimated)

or
.5 oz Apollo at 60 min
2 oz cascade 5 min
2 oz chinook 5 min

Yeast, Wyeast 1272 American Ale II at 60-65 degrees

OG 1.068 FG 1.018 for 6.63% abv estimated
IBU 62 SRM 13.22

Thank you for the recommendations, I've taken some of them into account.

Hello,

I am working on my 1st Recipe, and am looking to make a Strong Hoppy Red Ale.

So Far, Here is what I have:

**Revised per below advice**

11# Rahr American 2 Row
6oz Weyerman Carared
6oz Breiss Caramel 80L
1# American red wheat

35ml HopShot (at 60 min)
2 oz cascade 5 min
2 oz chinook 5 min
1 oz Cascade at Flame out

Safale US-05 Dry yeast (Tends to do well in my fermentation conditions i have available, normally 67-68°)

Thoughts? Reccomendations?

Based on your hops do you have the AA% for each? Also, what about the hop shot? I ask b/c it would help us determine the IBUs which may be too high or too low for what you are looking for. How long for the flameout hop? 10, 20, 30 minutes?

Also, what are you looking to have in the fermenter? 5, 5.5, 6, etc... gallons?

I ask b/c I plugged this into Beersmith quickly (using my equipment profile). It estimates the following:

OG - 1.062
FG - 1.012
ABV - 6.5%
IBU - 217.7
SRM - 6.2
Batch Size - 5.5 gallons (into fermenter)

The hop shot (65% Beersmith default) itself accounts for 195.6 IBUs. Do you have any information on the hop shot? Would it be too bitter for a 60 min addition? Maybe it would be better to do part of the hop shot at 60 min then the rest at 30 mins? I'm not sure, just throwing out some thoughts. I haven't used a hop shot yet, so I'm just thinking out loud.

I have attached a PDF of the recipe for you to see what I did. This is the great thing about home brewing. You can make what you want, try what you want, do what you want.

View attachment Strong Hoppy Red Ale.pdf

I wouldn't dry hop so long. 3-5 days is ideal in my experience. Just like good tea, shorter time is better. If you want more hoppiness, use more hops. :)

I also prefer Nottingham to US-05, but that's a contentious topic.

I wouldn't dry hop so long. 3-5 days is ideal in my experience. Just like good tea, shorter time is better. If you want more hoppiness, use more hops. :)

I also prefer Nottingham to US-05, but that's a contentious topic.

I have to agree with you on both. I like to dry hop for 4 days usually and I prefer Notty over US-05 too! :mug: It's all personal preference though.

Based on your hops do you have the AA% for each? Also, what about the hop shot? I ask b/c it would help us determine the IBUs which may be too high or too low for what you are looking for. How long for the flameout hop? 10, 20, 30 minutes?

Also, what are you looking to have in the fermenter? 5, 5.5, 6, etc... gallons?

I ask b/c I plugged this into Beersmith quickly (using my equipment profile). It estimates the following:

OG - 1.062
FG - 1.012
ABV - 6.5%
IBU - 217.7
SRM - 6.2
Batch Size - 5.5 gallons (into fermenter)

The hop shot (65% Beersmith default) itself accounts for 195.6 IBUs. Do you have any information on the hop shot? Would it be too bitter for a 60 min addition? Maybe it would be better to do part of the hop shot at 60 min then the rest at 30 mins? I'm not sure, just throwing out some thoughts. I haven't used a hop shot yet, so I'm just thinking out loud.

I have attached a PDF of the recipe for you to see what I did. This is the great thing about home brewing. You can make what you want, try what you want, do what you want.

View attachment 384894

Thank You for the feedback, I am looking to get 5.5 Gallons into the fermenter.

The Hop shot at 3.5ml Should add 35 IBU per https://www.midwestsupplies.com/hopshot

AA%:
Cascade: 4.5-7%
Chinook: 12-14%

Very interesting for sure. I wonder why Beersmith drives up the IBUs on it so much? I'll look into it more and may have to try a hop shot myself some time. I probably have to adjust some of the settings in Beersmith for the hop shot based on the info from the vendor.

Most of the hop shots, IE hop oil in a syringe, 1 ML is 10 IBU at 60 min.

the dry hopping 5 days vs 7, I personally don't know, cant hurt at 5..

Most of the hop shots, IE hop oil in a syringe, 1 ML is 10 IBU at 60 min.

the dry hopping 5 days vs 7, I personally don't know, cant hurt at 5..

This is the great thing about this hobby. You learn something new almost everyday. Now it makes me really want to try a hop shot now.

Back