1st kegging experience..info appreciated.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydlaw

Reaction score
ok, I kegged for the first time today. The keg was room temperature, the beer was originally cold crashed. I added it to the keg, hooked it up to the taps, and set the co2 at 30 psi, and tossed it into the kegerator. My plan is to force carb for 24 hrs then lower the pressure to around 3-4 psi and let it finish at that psi. although not necessary needed i assume that it will be good to drink by the end of the week. Am I incorrect on any of my assumptions/ actions? let me know if i need to do something different.

30 PSI for 24-36 hrs. once it's down to the temp you want.
Shut off the gas, bleed the keg, re-attach gas with the regulator set @ the pressure you want...............3-4 sounds too low.....Way low!
I would shoot for 10-12 PSI, and try it after 3-4 days after that process..
Make sure you have at least 10 ft. of beer line to start with, (3/16 I.D.), and you can trim it back from there as needed, if the pour speed don't suit ya'.

Happy kegging, and don't do any of that keg shakin', have a little patience!...............;)

30 PSI for 24-36 hrs. once it's down to the temp you want.
Shut off the gas, bleed the keg, re-attach gas with the regulator set @ the pressure you want...............3-4 sounds too low.....Way low!
I would shoot for 10-12 PSI, and try it after 3-4 days after that process..
Make sure you have at least 10 ft. of beer line to start with, (3/16 I.D.), and you can trim it back from there as needed, if the pour speed don't suit ya'.

Happy kegging, and don't do any of that keg shakin', have a little patience!...............;)
cool, thanks for the advice!

Maybe I am in the minority but I hook mine up at 10-12psi and just let them carb up gradually to serving PSI over a week/2week period..eliminates any "carbonic bite" I taste in other home brewers beers that force carb quickly at higher PSIs to get the beer to tap quicker.

Maybe I am in the minority but I hook mine up at 10-12psi and just let them carb up gradually to serving PSI over a week/2week period..eliminates any "carbonic bite" I taste in other home brewers beers that force carb quickly at higher PSIs to get the beer to tap quicker.

Yes, you can do that. But 30 psi for 24-36 hours and then purging and resetting to 12 psi (in a 40 degree fridge) works great for me. I don't get any carbonic acid bite at all, and am drinking my beer in about 3 days.

Yes, you can do that. But 30 psi for 24-36 hours and then purging and resetting to 12 psi (in a 40 degree fridge) works great for me. I don't get any carbonic acid bite at all, and am drinking my beer in about 3 days.

May give this a try on an ipa getting kegged in the next 2 weeks..I have a few friends who do the carb high, roll keg around and keep pushing CO2 into it to tap the keg in a day and you can taste that carb bite in the beer..it goes away if they leave it at 10-12 PSI for a week or so until the beer equalizes but egads that metallic taste is not good in beer..

Will try this trick though..

thanks for all the advice. i ended up
setting at 30 psi for day 1
changing psi to 12 psi
the results were undercarbed beer
set to 30 psi day 3 and did the keg shake
changed back to 12 psi
it worked but i got too much foam due to it leaving the system to quick (tubes are 5ft)
i changed to 8 psi
now everything is gravy
:mug:
cheers!

thanks for all the advice. i ended up
setting at 30 psi for day 1
changing psi to 12 psi
the results were undercarbed beer
set to 30 psi day 3 and did the keg shake
changed back to 12 psi
it worked but i got too much foam due to it leaving the system to quick (tubes are 5ft)
i changed to 8 psi
now everything is gravy
:mug:
cheers!

your beer turned to gravy?? gross.

Back