1st IPA Recipe Feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jblack138

Reaction score
Attempted my first recipe using extract. Looking forward to input & tweaking it. Going to be interesting to see what everyone has to say. Start dry hopping tomorrow!

8 lb Light LME
1 lb Crystal 10L*
.5 lb Munich Light

1 oz Summit (16.3%) @ 60 min
1 oz Citra (14.5%) @ 20 min
.5 oz Citra (14.5%) @ 5 min
.5 oz Cascade (7.3%) @ 5 min
.5 oz Citra (14.5%) @ FO
.5 oz Cascade (7.3%) @ FO
1 oz Citra (14.5%) dry hop 5 days
1 oz Cascade (7.3%) dry hop 5 days

Safale US-05

Steep grains at 165° for 30 min. Add LME @ boil & follow hop schedule. 16 days in primary, then dry hop for 5.

OG: 1.062
FG: ??? Not checking until bottling day

*got excited & didn't pay attention to my numbers. This batch used 60L instead of 10L.

Great to see you jumping into an extract recipe! Congrats!

I would say that is a good amount of crystal, but with the 60L it will be much darker than it probably should. Oh well, it will probably still be good! :) Also, with the Munich, you would need to actually "mash" that grain. That being said, 165 F isn't too far away from standard mash temps, but it is a bit high. Maybe try for 155 F next time. Hops are good, except that I like to add all of my aroma hops at flameout and do a whirlpool and hop stand for about 15-20 mins. I would also add more hops. Maybe double. It is an IPA... :) Other than that, it seems good to me. Just my $0.02. Everyone will have their way of doing things, and we all learn something new everyday. Ask 10 brewers how they brew a beer and you'll get 100 answers.....

Cheers!

Thanks for the advice. Next time i brew this I'm going to shoot for a partial mash & I'll add the Munich then. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back