1st Double Batch Day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jasert39

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Planning on doing my first double batch day Saturday...any advice for making any easier on me?

I am planning on doing the first batch as usual, then heating my sparge water and mashing the second batch while the first finishes boiling and cooling The recipes I am making aren't very difficult, just thought I would ask if there is anything that would save me any time or anxiety that I may not have thought of.

Thats kinda how I do multiple batches.

The second I get the wort out of the tun and the grains cleaned out Im starting mashing the second brew while the first is boiling. I mash 60 minutes and boil 60 minutes. so when the boil is finished i put it in an ice bath in the fermenter (no other cooling method) then drain the wort off the second into my boiler.

I can do 3 brews in about 5.5 hours including clean up

Thats kinda how I do multiple batches.

The second I get the wort out of the tun and the grains cleaned out Im starting mashing the second brew while the first is boiling. I mash 60 minutes and boil 60 minutes. so when the boil is finished i put it in an ice bath in the fermenter (no other cooling method) then drain the wort off the second into my boiler.

I can do 3 brews in about 5.5 hours including clean up

interesting...so you are cooling in your fermenter, I had not even considered doing that.

If you are using an immersion chiller I like to harvest the hot water coming out of it. You get pretty hot water right off the bat and spend less time trying to heat water for your mash or sparge.

Borrow another mash tun and kettle and brew them at the same time

or make\buy ... I have two boil kettles and built two mash\tun one 70L and one 45L I do a big and small beer at the same time. I get the water setup the night before in plastic buckets with lids\campton tabs. measure\crush grain that night too as well as hops weighed and yeast starter going (I like mine active when I pitch) copper cooler chiller really helped me speed things up.. I pump ice cold water thru it, its cooled to 65 deg in 20min. Love this beer thing :D

I also stopped shaking the carboy.. just got an o2 bottle & stone, this really helped speed up fermentation.

Back