1st brew ruined?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt1978

Reaction score
Hi folks. New to brewing and I’ve made what I think is a school boy error. After a very long and delayed house move I’ve finally got around to starting my home brew I got for Christmas. A mangrove jacks red ipa. However in all the excitement I put the yeast in before adding the cold water and fear I may have killed it. Wasn’t until I was making bread later on that I thought about it. Then I went back a read the instructions properly to discover I was right. Thankfully I didn’t add the hops as well. Can I add more yeast now how much should I add? It’s been 24 hours since a started and there’s been know bubbles yet? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Matt

What do you mean by “thankfully I didn’t add the hops as well?” Do you mean dry hops that are meant to be added near the end of primary fermentation, or some other hot-side hop addition?

Dry hops yes. When it gets to 1.020 sg according to the instructions I’ve now read fully.
The water was boiled with just the malt extract that would have cooled it sum what but I’m guessing not enough. Probably shouldn’t be guess I know. I’ve got a pack of yeast coming tomorrow so hopefully I can save it.
Thanks you all.

You'll be fine - only thing you'll experience is a delayed fermentation (provided your sanitization practices are up to snuff). You can dry hop as per scheduled once fermentation starts the clock.

In the future, there is never a need to be anxious and rushing to pitch yeast.

If you can't cool the wort to within range after brewing, seal it up and allow it to cool, even if it takes overnight or longer. Obviously this is not ideal, but as long as conditions are sanitary you should not have a problem.

On the other hand, pitching yeast hot will kill them, and pitching very warm will usually produce crappy beer. Patience.

Note - by "within range" we are generally talking about 65F on average for ale yeast, and 70F maximum.

Hi folks. New to brewing and I’ve made what I think is a school boy error. After a very long and delayed house move I’ve finally got around to starting my home brew I got for Christmas. A mangrove jacks red ipa. However in all the excitement I put the yeast in before adding the cold water and fear I may have killed it. Wasn’t until I was making bread later on that I thought about it. Then I went back a read the instructions properly to discover I was right. Thankfully I didn’t add the hops as well. Can I add more yeast now how much should I add? It’s been 24 hours since a started and there’s been know bubbles yet? Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Matt
My first batch , I wasn't using a heat pad and it cooled down to about 16deg C over night which put the yeast to sleep , so I just sprinkled another packet over it, and away it went 👍

Back