1st Brew Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2saints

Reaction score
I did a witbier partial mash kit from the LHBS. I followed the directions exactly and when I tested it prior to bottling the FG was 1.012 but it had almost no alcohol and it tasted watery. I must have over diluted when topping up the primary. anyway I boiled a kg of sugar in 2

I did a witbier partial mash kit from the LHBS. I followed the directions exactly and when I tested it prior to bottling the FG was 1.012 but it had almost no alcohol and it tasted watery. I must have over diluted when topping up the primary. anyway I boiled a kg of sugar in 2 cups of water and added it in. Will this save it? Any other suggestions?

If you havn"t already and I hope not, don"t bottle it yet! Leave it to ferment for another week. Give your vessel a good swirl to rouse the yeast. It will ferment the extra sugar you added. Witbier can be on the low side as far as ABV which could give it a low alcohol taste. Let us know what happens.

What was your OG? 5 gallon batch?

By adding sugar, you'll get more alcohol, but it won't help with the body - in fact, it will probably make it even more "watery" - because plain sugar ferments out completely and has no protein it is often used to help "dry/thin out" a beer.

I neglected to measure OG. When I input all the numbers into beersmith I get1.058

recipie is as follows

fermentables

100 g pale malt 2 row
300 g wheat malt
1 kg light DME
600 g corn sugar
1 kg dry wheat extra t

Hops

14 g perle pellets

Other

5g coriander
5 g bitter orange

Yeast

Wyeast forbidden fruit smack pack

Also, I didn't bottle. I cleaned and sanitized my carboy and racked it back in. Its now bubbling away again.

By adding sugar, you'll get more alcohol, but it won't help with the body - in fact, it will probably make it even more "watery" - because plain sugar ferments out completely and has no protein it is often used to help "dry/thin out" a beer.

This ^^^^^. A full kg of sugar in a witbier will boost the ABV once the yeast eat it, but it will make the beer seem more thin and dry. Not really a good thing to try to "save" this batch.

This ^^^^^. A full kg of sugar in a witbier will boost the ABV once the yeast eat it, but it will make the beer seem more thin and dry. Not really a good thing to try to "save" this batch.

I know but the alternative was to pitch it down the drain. What I was hoping is that someone had a suggestion to help add body. I was thinking of adding maltodextrine at bottling. Any idea how much would be good to add.

Yah. I hadnt finished typing amd hit send accidentally. Couldn't figure out how to delete.

Adding some DME might have been a better option if you really wanted to add something; it would have added some extra body and alcohol. That said, you were tasting flat beer so the reason it tasted watery could very well have been due to it being uncarbonated. A fully carbed beer will have a much different taste and mouthfeel than its uncarbonated analogue.

Well I guess ill give iy a week. Bottle and carb and see what it turns out like. Ive only done cider before and its much simpler. Thanks for your input and if anyone has any ideas for additives at bottling id appreciate it

2saints said:
I neglected to measure OG. When I input all the numbers into beersmith I get1.058

Just FYI...if your OG was 1.058 and your FG was 1.012, you had yourself a 6% ABV beer.

Sure didnt taste like it when I tried the hydrometer sample. Rookie mistake. Ive got a 3 gallon all grain in Primary. Gave BIAB a try. I wont mess with that one

Back