1st Brew in 2nd ferm Q

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GLWaters

Reaction score
I have a BB IPA in secondary. When I transferred it to secondary I filled the carboy up to the next with water (per the instructions). It started bubbling in secondary better than it did in primary. It's been going for about a week now and I'm wondering if I should bottle? I tried a sample and it tastes watery and carbonated. I can't get a good FG reading because I don't have a tube/vase/ glass tall enough for my hydrometer. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

There are better people here to answer this but i just use the plastic sleeve the my hydrometer came in. Takes about 31/2 oz to float it. Might be the wrong answer so I'll stick around to here from the experienced guys chime in.

When I transferred it to secondary I filled the carboy up to the next with water (per the instructions). It started bubbling in secondary better than it did in primary. It's been going for about a week now and I'm wondering if I should bottle? I tried a sample and it tastes watery and carbonated.

I am so confused. Did your directions really tell you to add water in the secondary?

If you only had a 2.5 gallons of wort in your primary when you pitched yeast I'm assuming you had a really high gravity.

Sorry, I'm not being any help. You should post your recipe/directions.

As far as bottling. If there hasn't been activity in a week you should be good. If your still concerned - wait another week - it won't hurt.

Back