1st boil over.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirbrewsalittle

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm sad to say today was my 1st boil over. I'm brewing my third batch (an oatmeal stout), as soon as I added the hops there was an immediate boil over. I believe it was due to the fact I had a raging boil and didn't calm it down before hand....I also may or may not have burned my hand in the process.

Hopefully it was at least outside and not in the kitchen? Ive started to get pretty brave adding the hops in one shot into a kettle with not much head space. Maybe ill think twice about it after reading this, thanks :D

Part of the reason I invested in a burner. SWMBO wasn't fond of boil overs happening on the stove. Also sounds like a good excuse for a new boil kettle. :D

First Wort Hops! (Fermcap? Come on, that's just cheating.. :D )

If you look at the small amount of IBU's gained from a FWH addition over a 60min addition, with a slightly more smoothed bittering, I actually wonder why more folks don't add their 60min additions immediately as the wort is coming up to temp.

Check it out if you're interested, but all my 60min additions have been moved to FWH additions and I'm much happier for it.

Back