1st Boil Complete - Cincinnati Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, Indyking that's a nice big head!

OK, I drank one after 2 weeks in the bottle. Still not much carbonation, had about half an inch which dissapated quickly.

My big concern is it tastes watery for some reason. It has nice flavor and bitterness, I practically chugged the thing it was so smooth.. but it just tasted watery.

What are the causes for watery beer? Too much water in the boil?

I think I got nice carbonation and head after just 2 weeks because I opted to use more corn sugar than recommended by Palmer and I'm glad I did. This weekend I'll be bottling my stout, which is sort of a big question mark because I changed a lot of things in the recipe I got... but a preliminary tasting of the wort when checking the gravity was very promissing.

elproducto, As far as your beer feeling watery, I agree it's probably the carbonation because I don't recall you changed anything in the recipe, right?

I think I got nice carbonation and head after just 2 weeks because I opted to use more corn sugar than recommended by Palmer and I'm glad I did. This weekend I'll be bottling my stout, which is sort of a big question mark because I changed a lot of things in the recipe I got... but a preliminary tasting of the wort when checking the gravity was very promissing.

elproducto, As far as your beer feeling watery, I agree it's probably the carbonation because I don't recall you changed anything in the recipe, right?

Nope didn't change anything, although I didn't adjust my boil for the extra volume taken up by the extract, so I came out with about 5.5 gallons of wort.

Interesting note. I had put 2 in the fridge on Friday and popped the second one today. Had significantly more carbonation, and tasted much less watery! There is hope for my beer yet!

Nope didn't change anything, although I didn't adjust my boil for the extra volume taken up by the extract, so I came out with about 5.5 gallons of wort.

Interesting note. I had put 2 in the fridge on Friday and popped the second one today. Had significantly more carbonation, and tasted much less watery! There is hope for my beer yet!

Glad to hear it! :rockin:

It is amazing what proper carbonation can do to a beer. In fact, I found particularly interesting what time in general can do. I improved my beers from drinkable to very good (to my taste since I'm not a judge) in just a few batches by just being more patient and allowing them to conditioning in the fermenter longer, allowing them to carbonate longer, and allowing them to be refrigerated for some time before drinking. :)

This was my second batch.
- poured water to top 6 gallons (23 liter) instead of 5
- decided to add only 1 kg of Amber DME (recipe calls for 1,1,kg)
- OG at 64F (18C) 1032 or at best 1034 (forgot to take sample before pitching yeast)
- it took me 45 minutes to cool down the wort when added water and yeast it had 18C (64F).
- used Safale S-04 (rehydrated)

Other things was pretty much according to Palmer's instructions.

Since I brewed only yesterday and will have to wait 1 month to see the result I would like to know what effect will mentioned things have on beer?

What does adding 1 gallon more than recipe calls mean? Will my beer be watery or just low in alcohol? Does adding more DME affect the taste or just alcohol volume? What about slow cooling down.

Back