1st batch and some questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheEagleRising

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So been here less than a day and already so many questions.

So did my first brew over the weekend and learned as I was going. A Brown Ale with an AIH kit. So a few questions,

1) OG was supposed to be 1.05 and if I read the hydrometer right I was as 1.11. Bad?

2) So reading through here it seems that 2nd fermentation isn't really needed. So if so how long to ferment before bottling?

3)Bought a 2.5 probe thermometer for my brew pot. It didn't come with any instructions, so how can I calibrate it with the screw on the back? So I hope the long glass thermometer that came with the kit was accurate.

3) Are extract kits the way to go for a few brews until the basic process are second nature?

I am sure I will have many more as i go, just hoping my 1st batch turns out.

Thanks in advance

I would measure again with the hydrometer. And if it really is 1.110 then did you add the proper amount of water during your process? because 1.11 is wine territory and way to high. You'll be looking at 10-12% beer depending on your yeast tolerance that will be super sweet.

So did my first brew over the weekend and learned as I was going. A Brown Ale with an AIH kit. So a few questions,

1) OG was supposed to be 1.05 and if I read the hydrometer right I was as 1.11. Bad?

2) So reading through here it seems that 2nd fermentation isn't really needed. So if so how long to ferment before bottling?

3)Bought a 2.5 probe thermometer for my brew pot. It didn't come with any instructions, so how can I calibrate it with the screw on the back? So I hope the long glass thermometer that came with the kit was accurate.

3) Are extract kits the way to go for a few brews until the basic process are second nature?

Thanks in advance

1) I agree with other poster that you were probably supposed to add water to the fermenter. If you boil the water first to drive off oxygen (and to kill cooties) I don't see why you can't still do that. Just make sure it's cooled first!

2) Correct--don't bother with secondary. Wait until activity stops and beer clears up a bit. At that point you can take gravity readings 3 days apart until you get two readings in a row that are the same. Then you can bottle. Or if you'd rather not take gravity readings, just wait another couple weeks after it's cleared to be safe before bottling. NOTE: this only applies if you dilute with water. I've never actually done this, but my guess is add in about as much water as you have beer in there now, bc you need to dilute it by half to get it near 1.050. If you don't dliute, a beer with that high an OG could take a lot longer.

3) the old fashioned glass thermometer is probably accurate.

other 3) that's really just preference. I started with all grain just because someone gave me a kit that happened to be all grain. Many others have, too. Extract is a bit "easier" I suppose, but if you're inclined toward all grain, absolutely go for it. In terms of easing into things, you may want to start with BIAB, then move to other methods if you're interested.

1)...I started with all grain just because someone gave me a kit that happened to be all grain. Many others have, too. Extract is a bit "easier" I suppose, but if you're inclined toward all grain, absolutely go for it. In terms of easing into things, you may want to start with BIAB, then move to other methods if you're interested.

Brewing with extract vs. all grain is like baking a cake with a box mix vs. baking from scratch. Both methods can produce a delicious beer, and while extract kits can be customized or created from scratch, AG offers so many more variables to tweak (sometimes to the detriment of beer quality) that it is extremely common to start out and learn the ropes with extract kits. Eventually you will likely find yourself wanting to wade out into in the deep end of the pool, where we will be waiting to help guide you through.

1) I agree with other poster that you were probably supposed to add water to the fermenter. If you boil the water first to drive off oxygen (and to kill cooties) I don't see why you can't still do that.
Just don’t let girls touch your brewing gear and you don’t have to worry about cooties.

I will recheck OG tonight. What level should I fill the tube to test?

I did add water to the wort to get to the 5gl mark.

If still high, adding more water to dilute would help?

I hope I didn't ruin my 1st try.

Thanks

If you're confident after adding water the volume is at 5 gallons, and the recipe is for 5 gallons, just trust the OG of the recipe. There are reasons your measurement of the specific gravity or SG (called original gravity or OG at time of pitching) could be inaccurate--incomplete mixing and temperature especially can affect it.

And just be aware that, since the yeast can start to work pretty soon after pitching into the wort, the SG several hours after pitching may not be the OG anymore... fermentation can start quickly.

Thanks in advance
Hi and welcome.
If you added the water and didn't put anything in the pot that wasn't in your kit, it's fine. You misread the hydrometer or whatever. If that is the case, I agree with the suggestion, do not recheck the OG. You should just keep the lid closed. You're already going to be opening the fermenter a couple of times to check the final gravity. My opinion is wait two weeks before you check it.
3. That sounds like a good plan. Then carry the brewing process as far as you like, eventually. I'm perfectly happy doing extract, been doing it for years.
Good luck

easiest way to calibrate a thermometer (it is a threaded one right?)- install thermometer into pot , fill pot with water well above thermometer probe end , heat to boil , watch when water boils , thermometer should read 212*F.

easiest way to calibrate a thermometer (it is a threaded one right?)- install thermometer into pot , fill pot with water well above thermometer probe end , heat to boil , watch when water boils , thermometer should read 212*F.
This is very nearly correct. The problem is that boiling temp is not a constant 212°F. It changes every time atmospheric pressure changes. 212°F is correct ay sea level and average atmospheric pressure.

You could verify local atmospheric pressure, then determine boiling temp at that pressure, and calibrate to that temp. Or you could measure the temp with your glass thermometer and match your dial temp to that. I believe the latter procedure will be plenty close enough.

As far as all grain vs extract: the first beer ever made was all grain, made by someone who didn't even know they were brewing beer. You are doing just fine. Have fun and good luck!

This is very nearly correct. The problem is that boiling temp is not a constant 212°F. It changes every time atmospheric pressure changes. 212°F is correct ay sea level and average atmospheric pressure.

You could verify local atmospheric pressure, then determine boiling temp at that pressure, and calibrate to that temp. Or you could measure the temp with your glass thermometer and match your dial temp to that. I believe the latter procedure will be plenty close enough.

As far as all grain vs extract: the first beer ever made was all grain, made by someone who didn't even know they were brewing beer. You are doing just fine. Have fun and good luck!
I actually found this out when i boiled water in a test run on my rig. Turns out with our elevation its 206

If you're confident after adding water the volume is at 5 gallons, and the recipe is for 5 gallons, just trust the OG of the recipe.
Frodo is correct. If you added all the fermentables and the correct amount of water, then by definition your OG has to be what the recipe kit says it should be. Stratification of wort/water happens all the time with beginner batches. The wort is thick and heavy, the water light. It's more difficult than one would think possible to completely mix the two. But rest assured, the yeast will mix them well during fermentation. You're just fine!
And welcome by the way. Ask away, plenty of nice people (and a very few aholes) on this forum always willing to help.

Back