1st Annual Michigan Predators Autumn Brew Day Saturday, 9-26-09

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
speaking of founders brewery they now have a new stout,,kentucky breakfast stout,,this is basically their breakfast stout aged in old JD barrels.

as far as finding beer stores yooper most any store will carry bells, or arcadia, dark horse etc. just stop in and ask i'd think.
dangnabbit i forgot to go to arcadia on monday and work the bottling line..they give out free samples when you do this and also send you home with a case or 2 of free beer (whatever was bottled that day basically).

KBS is not that new. I had it last year. I'm not a big fan of stout, but this was pretty tasty. I'll be looking for it again this winter.

That place is called Bear Claw. Their beer is made by Bells it's called Bear Claw Ale and IMO it sucks. The wife and I stopped there two weeks ago for lunch as we were headed to Tawas. The food was OK but the one beer that was "their beer" was not good.

If you get near GR there are a lot of places. Hop Cat is a must go to place. Rated 3rd best beer bar in the world. 47 craft beers on tap + one hand pull and 150+ bottles.
If you get to GR let me know the wife and I would be happy to take you out some place.

I was afraid of that. Since it's in Cadillac, I might drop by sometime and check the place out. I'll be looking out for that beer though. (Gotta try them all...)

dangnabbit i forgot to go to arcadia on monday and work the bottling line..they give out free samples when you do this and also send you home with a case or 2 of free beer (whatever was bottled that day basically).

I will be picking your brain more about this on Saturday. Sounds like it could be a fun way to spend a Monday.

Just bottled up eight 22's of Nemesis IIPA. Now to bottle some Southern English Brown and fill a growler of APA.

That sounds good, xiang! but what are you bringing for the rest of the gang?

:D
If HH had an open tap, I could just bring the keg of IIPA to ensure everyone gets good and druck. :rockin: It is sneaky smooth at 10.63% abv and 110IBU. It drinks more like an IPA then an IIPA, IMHO. Just dawned on me that I just poured my 4th glass tonight. ouch!!!!

My wife and I have been excited to see how AG is and we have been planning on using this weekend as a tutorial on how to build our AG system.

Eff that noise....now I can't wait to taste your beers!!!!!

The stuff I'm bringing isn't that wonderful. I'm new and the batches I'm bringing are #'s 4,5,and 6. I'll be brewing partial/extract #9 on Sat. Frankly I'm grateful for all I've been taught between #4 and #9 and I'm confident enough to brew with you guys.

Sorta trailed off there.....point is I'm looking forward to Sat even more. Glad Heb's Motel is close :tank:

Just tasted my latest batch last night, a Belgian Wit recipe with Pils and Notty (my wit yeast was not starting and I had to pitch the backup...). I'm seriously thinking about dragging the keg along with me! Might be good for the ladies (sorry Yooper, I know you like IPAs better, and besides, I think of you as one of the guys...)

My wife and I have been excited to see how AG is and we have been planning on using this weekend as a tutorial on how to build our AG system.

Eff that noise....now I can't wait to taste your beers!!!!!

The stuff I'm bringing isn't that wonderful. I'm new and the batches I'm bringing are #'s 4,5,and 6. I'll be brewing partial/extract #9 on Sat. Frankly I'm grateful for all I've been taught between #4 and #9 and I'm confident enough to brew with you guys.

Sorta trailed off there.....point is I'm looking forward to Sat even more. Glad Heb's Motel is close :tank:

No worries! I know most of us are really looking forward to tasting you beer anyway. I'm STILL working out the bugs in my process after a couple of years of re-entering the homebrew scene. Too many little details to work on.

In the very least, you should be expecting some frank and honest feedback and helpful advice.

Aw dang it! Looks like I actually have to work today. :mad: Chat at cha later.

If HH had an open tap, I could just bring the keg of IIPA to ensure everyone gets good and druck. :rockin: It is sneaky smooth at 10.63% abv and 110IBU. It drinks more like an IPA then an IIPA, IMHO. Just dawned on me that I just poured my 4th glass tonight. ouch!!!!

HAHA! I could bring a picnic tap and you can fill my growlers!!:D

(sorry Yooper, I know you like IPAs better, and besides, I think of you as one of the guys...)

Yeah, thanks alot. One of the guys, huh?

Well, actually, that fits me pretty well. I hate shopping, love brewing, football, hockey, and college hoops. I love to fish, hunt, and be outside. I can fix just about anything. So, yeah, I'll take "one of the guys" as a compliment!

Picked up a mess o' pork tenderloin tenderloin today and the makin's for the jerk marinade. My homebrew pipeline is EMPTY right now, so I'll be bringing a variety of New Holland brews.

Yeah, thanks alot. One of the guys, huh?

Well, actually, that fits me pretty well. I hate shopping, love brewing, football, hockey, and college hoops. I love to fish, hunt, and be outside. I can fix just about anything. So, yeah, I'll take "one of the guys" as a compliment!

Hey Yoop, can I get ya to take a look at my car?!?!?

As I alluded to earlier, there will be two empty Sanyo slots-I'ma bottle up what I have in the kegs in there now, but my next couple won't be DH'd in time to serve, so xiang has one tap and whoever can have the other.

And Yooper, I'm getting all WOO-HOO, too.:mug:

Nick O, you have email.

I just "tested" the new keg of Lake Walk to make sure it's ready to drink. Yup after 4 pints in an hour it's ready. :drunk:

Picking up my grains tomorrow and will pack up.
I have to work in the morning. The guy that would have been going in Saturday had to run to Florida, a family member was killed on a bike. So now I have to go in or the other guys can't get in.
My plan is to leave work no later then 10 and should be leaving GR before 11 putting me there around noon.
Don't you all be to sh*t faced before I get there. :D

Life is too frikkin busy! I have got just about ZERO ready for this day. I haven't even crushed my grains. Hell, I'm still putting the recipe together! I hope tonight lets me get all packed and prepared. But there is a football game which my daughter plays in the band, and I am supposed to go. Supposedly there is some new drum thing going to happen. The band geeks are all excited too. Whoopie!

Ok, anyway, I loaded my webcam and laptop and it seems to work. Might able to broadcast to HBT if the internet connection is decent.

I wanted to make a Belgian Pale Ale, but I don't have the specialty grains for the recipe. I might have to run to Michigan Brewing and pick that stuff up when they open at 11:00. Or have my friend pick it up. He'll be driving right through there.

I was hoping to have his grain mill finished before meeting up with him, but I am not sure I can finish it by tonight. Still have to weld the handle together and clean it up. And there is no hopper yet either...

SWMBO gave me the green light to attend. My rig isn't mobile at the moment so I won't be able to brew. Anyone feel like bumping their batch size from 5G to 10G and splitting a batch? I have ample base malt, a good selection of specialty malt, and a variety of hops to throw in, or we could just split up the cost. I'm not too picky on style. We could each pitch different yeast and do a swap once it's ready to compare end results.

My pipeline is pretty low at the moment. SWMBO made a nice oatmeal porter but it was a 2.5G stovetop AG batch, so I can't bring much quantity. I'd like to bring one or two along to get an assessment from another homebrewer. I also have some Graff that turned out to be quite tart and dry, but still pretty tasty. I'll bring a growler or two of that as well.

Looking forward to meeting you all tomorrow. HH, can you PM me your address? Or I guess I could just head to the Lion's Den and listen for jet burners...

Leaving right now, staying in Mount Pleasant tonight and going to the Mountain Station brewpub for dinner, if anybody else wants to join me.

See you guys tomorrow!

Well, as long as I'm working at me desk today, I might as well fire up Beersmith and put some kind of recipe together...

EDIT: Aw frik! I forgot I uninstalled it from work during the last audit. And I left my thumbdrive in my laptop last night!!

I'm trying to put together a recipe with what I have. I wanted to brew a Belgian Pale, to get a yeast starter ready for the Belgian Golden Strong for 10-10-10.

I have 2-row base malt, and Pilsner Base malt and:

3# 60L Crystal
4.5# Carapils
1# Crystal 10L
1/2 # Flaked Wheat
28 ounces Vienna

specialty grains.

Any ideas?

I'm trying to put together a recipe with what I have. I wanted to brew a Belgian Pale, to get a yeast starter ready for the Belgian Golden Strong for 10-10-10.

I have 2-row base malt, and Pilsner Base malt and:

3# 60L Crystal
4.5# Carapils
1# Crystal 10L
1/2 # Flaked Wheat
28 ounces Vienna

specialty grains.

Any ideas?

2-row for base
1# 10L
.5# carapils

SWMBO gave me the green light to attend. My rig isn't mobile at the moment so I won't be able to brew. Anyone feel like bumping their batch size from 5G to 10G and splitting a batch? I have ample base malt, a good selection of specialty malt, and a variety of hops to throw in, or we could just split up the cost. I'm not too picky on style. We could each pitch different yeast and do a swap once it's ready to compare end results.

My pipeline is pretty low at the moment. SWMBO made a nice oatmeal porter but it was a 2.5G stovetop AG batch, so I can't bring much quantity. I'd like to bring one or two along to get an assessment from another homebrewer. I also have some Graff that turned out to be quite tart and dry, but still pretty tasty. I'll bring a growler or two of that as well.

Looking forward to meeting you all tomorrow. HH, can you PM me your address? Or I guess I could just head to the Lion's Den and listen for jet burners...

LOL

You have a PM.

I've been a little busy myself and my still-to-do list is frightening...my brew plans are up in the air, but the food and entertainment should be excellent.

I've been hearing how there's nothing better than graff. :D

HH,, what is your mill set to? i might not be able to crush here due to time constraints.

too much to do and too little time to do it in.:cross:

Just finished mixing up the jerk marinade, man those peppers is HOT! I cut back just a bit since HH did the same with the chili, don't want it too hot and use up all the beer cooling down! :mug:

Just finished mixing up the jerk marinade, man those peppers is HOT! I cut back just a bit since HH did the same with the chili, don't want it too hot and use up all the beer cooling down! :mug:

Oh, that sounds so great. I really like hot stuff.

I'm settled in Mt. Pleasant for the night. I hear that there is a great store for Michigan microbrews and a good brewpub, so my evening is all planned out!

I listened to about 7 brewing podcasts on the way. I now must clone "Deschutes Obsidian Stout" (Can you brew it, JamilZ). As soon as I get my grain mill back (it's being repaired), that's what I'm making.

If you're going to do this annually, I may try to make it next year if there are no objections (up to the host of course). Turns out that this is only about a 3 hour drive for me.

Yoop, you're only 3 hours away from a few of bottles of Hopacles. :D

Seriously though, take lots of pictures, that way you have a few that are actually postable on the board!

If you're going to do this annually, I may try to make it next year if there are no objections (up to the host of course). Turns out that this is only about a 3 hour drive for me.

Yoop, you're only 3 hours away from a few of bottles of Hopacles. :D

Seriously though, take lots of pictures, that way you have a few that are actually postable on the board!

Damn- you should have told me that 3 hours ago! I'm tucked into my motel now, after a nice dinner at a brewpub (actually ending up sitting with the brewer and having a couple of beers with him, talking about beer for the entire time and of course invited him to pop in sometime at HBT!) and a nice haul at the party store. I would have driven an extra 3 hours to see you and Emily, OB!

I brought my camera, so somebody should remind me to USE it this time!

I'm all set, 19# of grain crushed and ready, hops measured out and bagged/tagged for the brew times and yeast packs ready.
Two carboys full of water to brew with, two kettles, one burner, one pump, one chiller and one MLT.
I think I got it all.
Now lets hope Mike's wife does not need the truck so we can haul it all down. If we have to take my car it's going to get really interesting and uncomfortable. :D
See you all around 11-12

A two pound flank steak is now tucked away in the fridge, marinating in a tasty concoction of soy, garlic, honey, red wine vinegar, honey, olive oil, and black pepper. I feel bad for anyone not making it out to this event. Grillmaster, make a hole!

HH,, what is your mill set to? i might not be able to crush here due to time constraints.

too much to do and too little time to do it in.:cross:

It's a fixed Shmidling, I send it through twice. If that's acceptable to you, mill it here. I don't think mine is any faster...but you can be drinking here while it crushes...

I'm all set, 19# of grain crushed and ready, hops measured out and bagged/tagged for the brew times and yeast packs ready.
Two carboys full of water to brew with, two kettles, one burner, one pump, one chiller and one MLT.
I think I got it all.
Now lets hope Mike's wife does not need the truck so we can haul it all down. If we have to take my car it's going to get really interesting and uncomfortable. :D
See you all around 11-12

Yeah, but your vehicle is way more interesting.:D

A two pound flank steak is now tucked away in the fridge, marinating in a tasty concoction of soy, garlic, honey, red wine vinegar, honey, olive oil, and black pepper. I feel bad for anyone not making it out to this event. Grillmaster, make a hole!

Anybody bringing anything to grill is grilling it themselves-I'ma drink.:D

9 pounds of BBQ pulled pork loin, a large roasting pan of chili, 2 kinds of soft goat cheese spreads and 5 kinds of crackers, chilled beers, and if I still have the energy in the morning, fresh tortilla chips to top the chili, and dip into my home made salsa. But no guarantee...:eek:

My guess is with all the other things people are bringing, we'll have enough food. I just hope there is enough beer. :drunk:

This is to also serve as a reminder for the fairer sex to dress in a provocative manner, and refrain from bras, per the host's wishes. :D

High quality coffee, expresso, cappuccino, latte, and chai tea are available right off the exit, at the Mosaic Coffee House, behind the McDonald's.

Tell them where you are headed. ;)

Drive like you are sane-these small town cops are Barney's. :(

My house is the fine mowed ditch lined by oaks, with a pond in the front yard and a warehouse next to a bungalow in the rear. Beware of drucks.

we'll be leaving here shortly..anyone wanting to we'll be having breakfast in perry at the diner inside the gas station right off the highway.@9:30

henry, looks like i'll be crushing with your machine today.

shadow is riding with us today good pic of him is there<-------

Back